Shows

The next day, the whole band was back over at Mick's place

The next day, the whole band was back over at Mick's place. Mick didn't mention anything about Nikki being there the day before, or the gifts Nikki and Tommy had given his daughter. Nikki wondered if Mick even knew that he gave Evie a card, or if he ever gave Evie Tommy's present.

If he had been there that morning, he would have known that yes, Mick did give Evie the candy and stuffed dog, and no, he did not know about Nikki's card. Mick brought out Tommy's gift the previous night, explaining to Evie that the drummer of his band wanted to 'make a good first impression' by getting her something for her birthday. When first presented with it, Evie acted appreciative but relatively calm. When her father left her alone in her room, however, she went into a slight fangirl mode, thinking about a bunch of what-if scenarios that involved the band's drummer falling for her. She tried to think back to the one afternoon she saw him and whether he was particularly cute or not.

Evie did know, though, that Nikki was particularly cute, with the long hair, tattoos, and gentle demeanor she had observed the day before. There was something about him that gave her a soft spot for him. Although she hardly knew him, she almost felt like she wanted to be a protective and loving force in his life, because it seemed like he didn't have too many of those around.

Given this, you can only imagine her delight when she got the mail that morning and found a sweet card addressed to her. She debated telling her dad about it. After all, she told her dad nearly everything going on in her life. But she decided he would take it the wrong way and might get mad at Nikki, so she stayed silent and worked to conceal her smile as she walked back into the house and gave the assorted bills and advertisements to her father before heading off to school.

Nikki Sixx didn't know any of that. He could only hope that there wasn't an ass-kicking or a lecture waiting for him in the not-so-distant future.

"You're not gonna fucking believe it," Vince said when he finally showed up (fifteen minutes late) to the Deal house.

"What," Tommy inquired.

"We've got a gig!" He let the words sink in to his bandmates. "May 3rd at the Starwood."

Smiles and excitement all around the room.

"That's incredible!" Tommy said.

"We've gotta start promoting it," Nikki added.

"Yeah, that's less than a week from now. We needa figure out a setlist, too." As would prove true throughout the career of Motley Crue, Mick Mars was often the only practical one of the group.

"They're giving us forty minutes. I'm thinking with some stage antics, that will allow us to get through maybe five or six songs," the singer informed the group.

"What kind of 'antics' are you thinking?" Mick asked.

"In London," the bassist said, "we would do all sorts of wild shit on stage. Fire, hot girls, breaking shit. You name it, we did it."

And so the four men talked about their debut show. They decided on a setlist consisting of six songs, talked about what they might wear, and, with some vetoes from the wisest band member, they were able to come up with some stunts they would use to keep their audience entertained.

They were so absorbed in their ideas, they didn't even notice the clock creep past 3:30, nor did they hear Evie Deal get home and get started on her homework in the dining room of the home. They only realized they had stayed a bit too late when Vince and Tommy walked into the home's kitchen to find something to snack on. Although Evie knew the band was still there, she hadn't expected them to waltz on into her kitchen, so she gasped. Likewise, Tommy said "shit," and Vince added, "who the fuck're you," like she didn't live there.

She giggled at Vince's comment, and Tommy apologized (for what, she wasn't sure) before grabbing the singer and hurrying back into the garage with no food.

Evie wondered what that was all about. Why were they acting like they couldn't even look at her? Especially Tommy. Wasn't he the one who got her the gift for her birthday? It occurred to her that maybe her father tore into him for that, told him to never do it again. She hoped that wasn't the case. Tommy seemed like a nice guy and as much as she hated to admit it, she certainly appreciated some attention every once in a while.

She silenced those ideas, thinking about what her father would think if he knew she was having those kinds of thoughts. She went back to doing her homework.