Tell The Boys About You

January 31, 1984

January 31, 1984

"Is this about the bomb threat?" Evie had been touring with the band long enough to ask that in a much too indifferent tone.

"No," Mick had been in the band long enough to not give it a second thought. "There's, uh, there's someone I've been wanting you to meet for some time now. I met her six or seven months ago, actually, but with the tour starting last October, I wasn't sure how serious it was until the break for Christmas."

Now Evie was kind of wishing this was about the bomb threat. But no, Mick had asked her to meet him in his hotel room because he wanted to introduce her to a woman. A woman named Katherine, who Mick had been courting ever since he met her at a party last summer. According to Mick, she was a twenty nine year old middle school art teacher who enjoyed going to rock concerts in her free time. And she was on a plane right now to come join the tour for a week.

"I figured there was no way I could keep this secret from Nikki," he gestured to the other queen-sized bed in the hotel room. "So I wanted to be the first to tell you."

Evie didn't know what to say. Mick hadn't had a girlfriend since she was ten years old. That relationship lasted two years. Then the woman began cheating on him, Mick went into a period of depressive alcoholism, and then he swore off women for good. Since Motley began taking off, Evie knew there were women who came and went, the longest of them hanging around a week or two, but she could never imagine Mick seriously dating again.

"Is this the woman you had over on Christmas? Tommy told me he saw you with a woman after Nikki and I left."

Mick breathed out and chuckled a bit. "Yes, and that's exactly why I'm telling you now. Can't keep a goddamn secret in this place even if your life depended on it."

"Is she...normal?"

"She's an art teacher who listens to rock n roll."

Evie nodded. "Does she know? About me?"

"Kind of. She knows I have a nineteen year old daughter who attended community college and was living with her boyfriend on Christmas. She does not know what you do for a living or who that boyfriend is."

"When are you going to tell her?"

Mick shrugged. "We'll see how the two of you get along first. I'll introduce you as my guitar tech at the show tonight. Then I was thinking a group of us go out to dinner sometime soon. You, Katherine, me, and maybe Nikki or Zutaut."

Evie sighed. "Alright. But not tonight. Nikki and I already have plans."

"Tomorrow, then. She's only here for a couple days."

She nodded. "Tomorrow."

"Surprise delivery!" Evie looked up from her notebook to see Nikki walking through the dressing room door.