Antagonize Me, Motherfucker

January 4, 1984

January 4, 1984

Evie waited for a response. But Nikki just stood there, the muscles in his jaw grinding as he considered what this meant. He couldn't take his eyes off the test: those two little red lines showing that their fear had come true: Evie was pregnant.

"You should take the second test," he finally set the stick down and looked at Evie. "These things aren't always accurate, maybe it's a false positive."

"That is the second test."

Nikki's heart was beating so hard that he could hear it. Her response to his next question could be even scarier than the results of the test: "D-Do you still want to...get rid of it?"

"Yes." Evie didn't hesitate. She did not want a baby. But for some reason, saying it out loud caused a lump in her throat.

Nikki let out a sigh of relief. He opened his arms, pulling Evie in for a hug. She tried to hide her tears by pressing her ear to his chest, but he could still hear her quiet sobs. The sound tore his heart apart.

"I'm sorry," she croaked out.

Nikki shook his head. "Don't apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. It's my fault. I'm the dumbass who didn't pull out." He tried to laugh, but nothing about the moment was funny.

Evie knew that. She knew she shouldn't feel like she did something bad. She hadn't hurt anyone and it wasn't like she had bad intentions. It was a mistake that happened to many couples. But she couldn't shake the overwhelming feeling of shame at the situation.

"Come on," Nikki smiled down at her. "Let's go call the clinic. I'm sure they'll have some openings soon. Not many people are getting abortions around Christmas time, right?"

He shook her shoulder, arousing a sound that started as a giggle and ended as a sob.

Subsequently, Nikki was the one who talked to the Planned Parenthood secretary. And he was right: the clinic had two openings the next day and three openings the day after that. Tomorrow at one p.m, it was decided. That was when this happy little accident would be taken care of.

The rest of the day was solemn. Evie managed to stop crying before too long, but they both spent the rest of the day in a quiet, sad mood. They mostly laid around the house, cuddling together on their new recliner. They watched whatever was on the TV because Evie didn't want an association to be created between this moment of her life and her favorite movies.

Around dinnertime, they ordered pizza because neither of them felt like cooking. After dinner, they played a game of Sorry which helped to cheer Evie up, even if just a little bit. When darkness rolled around, the couple went to bed earlier than usual. For the first time since the tour ended, they didn't have sex; Nikki just held her until the pills set to work.

January 5, 1984

"How are you feeling?"