Chapter 9

"And he goes, 'you can't play bass on a guitar!' And I'm like, 'what are you talking about?'" The men both laughed

"And he goes, 'you can't play bass on a guitar!' And I'm like, 'what are you talking about?'" The men both laughed. Nikki began to continue his story, when he noticed Mick's eyes avert to behind him, towards the staircase. He turned and saw the girl, now in a Disney pajama shirt and pajama pants. She smiled at them and then continued toward the kitchen.

"So anyway," Nikki continued when Mick turned his attention back to him. "I obviously couldn't go back to the place I had just stolen from, so I ended up just making do with what I had."

"You really did it? You played bass on a guitar?"

"Yeah. I mean, not well, but I did it."

Mick laughed again and then caught sight of his watch. "Shit!" He exclaimed.

"What?"

"It's already five."

"Are you late for work?"

"No, my shift doesn't start until seven. Evie!"

The girl appeared in the living room with a wooden spoon in her hand.

"I'm sorry," Mick said. "We last track of time."

"It's okay," she responded. She looked at Nikki. "Are you staying for dinner?"

Nikki hesitated, his eyes wide in surprise. He looked over at Mick. After a moment, Mick nodded and said, "Why not? Stay for dinner."

Before Nikki even got the chance to respond, Evie smiled a genuine smile and spun around, heading back to the kitchen.

"What are you making?" Mick hollered to her.

"Chicken and rice!"

When she was safely out of view, Nikki leaned in closer to Mick. "You really don't have to do this," the suddenly bashful bassist said. "I don't wanna be a burden, and I think I've got something at home to eat."

"Shut up," Mick said. "You're eating here. Now where were we?"

Dinner was ready by 5:30. Evie walked into the living room with a bowl in hand and sat criss cross on the floor. She grabbed the TV remote off of the coffee table and found a channel playing a shitty vampire movie from the 60s.

Mick leaned in close to Nikki. "That means it's ready." They went into the kitchen, where Evie had laid out bowls for the men and left the pots with the chicken and rice on the stovetop.

"Does she cook every night?" Nikki asked.

"No. I'd say we split it pretty evenly. We don't make something every night, either. Sometimes we have TV dinners or just sandwiches when things get rough."

They both filled their bowls, and Nikki followed Mick back out of the kitchen.

"You don't eat at the table?" Nikki asked when they passed the dining room.

"Yeah," Mick responded. " We eat at the table. She has to sit on the floor. You can sit wherever the hell you want, I'm going to the couch."

Nikki smiled.

The three of them ate. Evie watched the movie on TV while the guys chatted quietly about their favorite guitar and bass brands. Eventually, Mick excused himself to go to the restroom. When it was just the two of them left, Nikki spoke up. "This is really good. Thanks for letting me intrude on your evening plans."

Evie turned to look at him. "Thanks. And you're not intruding."

"I kinda am. I mean, how often does your dad allow twenty year old guys to join you for dinner? I'm sure that doesn't usually go over too well."

"It doesn't, but I think you happen to be one of probably five people my dad actually likes."

Nikki looked to the side, contemplating the meaning of what she had just told him. He suddenly became very uncomfortable. "So do you work?"

Little did either of them know, this was the moment at which Mick came out of the bathroom. He was surprised to hear Nikki and Evie talking, and he was really curious to see how Nikki spoke to her when he wasn't around. He stood still in the hallway, unseen from the living room.

"Yeah. I'm a waitress. I also make stuffed animals and blankets and sell them at markets and consignment shops."

"Really? Don't you work at that little Mexican restaurant on 8th avenue?"

"Yeah, that's the one." She was surprised and a bit confused that Nikki knew that about her. "Do you have a job outside of the band?"

Nikki sighed. "Not right now. I worked at the Starwood, helping clean and set the stage and shit, but that was a couple of months ago."

Mick chose that moment to go back into the room. He had seen all he needed to see: as far as he could tell, Nikki could be trusted to talk to his daughter like she was a real, respect-deserving person. The bar was low, but Mick knew far too many guys who couldn't reach it. When he walked in the room, Evie quickly turned back to face the TV, as though she didn't want Mick to know she had been talking to the bassist. In fact, she didn't say another word the entire time Nikki was there. She only waved goodbye to him when Mick ended the dinner so that he could get ready for his second job.

The next time she talked, it was shortly before her father left, while she was washing the dishes.

"What do you think about Nikki?" He asked her.

"Uhm, I think he's alright. I don't know him very well, but he seems nice. And you seem to like him."

Mick searched her face, looking for any signs of dishonesty.

"Yeah, but I only like people who don't give you a hard time. Remember that."

Evie looked down at the bowl in her hand. "He hasn't. He's been really nice to me. Tommy, too."

"And what about Vince?"

"I haven't really talked to him. He did tell me to shut my fuckin' mouth, but," she shrugged. "I have that effect on people."

Mick stood there for a moment longer. "Okay. But if any of them or anyone at our gigs or parties bother you, tell me. Alright?"

"I will."