Out for Blood

Friday, July 20, 1981

Once again, Evie was at the Motley house, standing in a corner and trying to not bring too much attention to herself. She came to the party half an hour ago with Nikki, but he was almost immediately swarmed by six people who all wanted to talk to him after seeing him perform. And the crowd only grew larger as time went on. Evie stood there for almost twenty of those minutes before she needed some space.

She was about to head outside for some air when she heard someone speak to her.

"What's a pretty girl like you doing, standing here all by yourself?"

Evie turned to face Tommy, who, at some point, had ditched his shirt. He was twirling his drumsticks and wearing more makeup than any woman Evie had seen in real life, but it wasn't enough to hide the bruises on his face from where his girlfriend threw a pan at him that morning. Evie looked around for the woman. Everyone she knew just called her Bullwinkle, but Evie thought that was a little mean. She didn't know her real name though, so in her head she referred to the girl as Tommy's girlfriend, the one who can squirt six feet across the room.

Evie didn't see her, which made her think that maybe the pair had broken up, hence why Tommy was suddenly wanting her attention.

"Well," Evie began. "I was with Nikki, but a bunch of people are trying to talk to him. I just got a little bored."

"Evie, you gotta let go of Nikki."

Her eyes widened and she looked up at him. She searched for signs of jealousy, but as far as she could tell, Tommy thought he was consoling her.

"What do you mean?"

"He's a fucking player," Tommy said. "He's a heartbreaker. I know you guys had something going on when he first moved into your place, but he never sticks with the same girl for more than a few weeks. It's best if you just stop going after him."

That was it, Evie thought. Tommy thought that her and Nikki had a brief fling a little over a month ago. Then, they broke it off and Evie had just been chasing Nikki ever since, following him around in hopes that he would fall in love with her. Tommy didn't know that they had been in a monogamous relationship since early June, that they went on dates together at least once a week, that they regularly spent hours talking, and that they had had sex together almost every day, sometimes twice a day, since the first time they went to the movie theater together.

Somehow, Nikki and Evie had managed to keep their relationship hidden from Tommy without even trying. Either that, or Tommy was a dumbass.

The things Tommy was saying, though, were things that Evie kept worrying about. When she was in bed alone at night, she thought about whether Nikki was being loyal to her, if his drug usage was getting worse, or if he was going to get bored of her soon, just to name a few of her concerns. She tried to not let herself think those things, but now Tommy was basically offering to tell her the truth about what Nikki was getting up to when she wasn't around.

"Really?" Evie said, hoping Tommy couldn't hear the tremble in her voice. "I feel like he's chilled out more over the last couple of weeks. Is he still sleeping around?"

Tommy thought for a moment. "I guess you're right. He has been slacking on the women recently. I don't know what that's about. He's still high off his ass most of the time, though. He's just not cut out for a girl like you. You're gonna get burned if you don't forget about him."

Evie didn't respond, just looked down at the ground.

"Can I have that? Thanks."

Evie looked up to see who Tommy was talking to. It was a girl walking past. He snatched the solo cup right out of her hand and held it out Evie. The girl was obviously offended, but just kept walking. Evie smiled and hesitantly accepted the cup.