It's So Easy

December 26, 1983

December 26, 1983

When Nikki Sixx woke up, he was in the same position he fell asleep in: holding his girlfriend tightly against his chest, his cheek resting on the back of her head. His arm, being that it had been underneath someone for seven hours, was sore. But Nikki was too comfortable to get up.

Evie was wearing the robe Mick gifted her. Nikki had considered getting her a robe before, envisioning something more short and lacey rather than thick and fluffy. He had to admit though, this one was way better. It was warm and soft. Holding her felt like he was cuddling with a blanket. She was still so cozy now, as Nikki ran his free hand along her thigh and hip, stopping at her stomach.

Her stomach, which might soon have a baby in it. His baby in it. The thought was horrifying and hot at the same time.

After Evie informed him of their carelessness yesterday, they spent a long time talking about what to do. Nikki never imagined being a father. Evie got baby fever every once in a while, but the rational part of her brain was certain she did not want children.

Even if they wanted kids, this was certainly not the right time. They were too young and had too many places to go and things to do before a baby held them back.

That was why, within twenty minutes, they had come to an agreement about what they were going to do. First, they would wait ten days—the number of days from conception after which a pregnancy test is likely to be accurate. If she tested negative, they would breathe a sigh of relief and go back to their regular lives. If she tested positive, they would call the family clinic and ask how soon they could schedule an abortion. In either case, Evie would be visiting the doctor to get an IUD inserted.

In the meantime, they were going to try not to stress about it. Accidents happen, and many accidents have solutions. And there was no guarantee she was pregnant. Evie remembered reading that only something like 20% of unprotected sex ends in pregnancy. Although they were both young, Nikki was a recovering heroin addict and they both drank and/or took sedatives regularly (and Evie had no intention of pausing her habits for the next ten days). Factoring in how common early miscarriages are, the chances of her conceiving were relatively slim.

They were going to enjoy the next ten days—going to the museum, picking out new furniture, relaxing, visiting old places, even going to a concert at the Starwood—all without worrying.

Nikki laid there for about ten minutes, thinking over everything they had talked about and the plans they had for the day, before Evie began to stir.

Despite their pep talk about not worrying, Evie struggled going to sleep last night. She had cried three times and felt more ashamed than she had in a long time. But now, well rested and feeling safe in the arms of the man she loved, she knew everything would be alright.

They got up and showered, all without mentioning the pregnancy scare. They got in the car, blasted their most reliable rock n' roll station, sang along to Looks That Kill when it came on, and stopped at a local breakfast burrito place. They ate, then got back in the car, and headed for the museum.