In the Beginning

Getting a manager meant getting serious about the band

Getting a manager meant getting serious about the band. They still had their daily practice, but there were plenty of other things to do besides playing: writing new songs, figuring out how to put an album together, rewriting parts of songs to make them suitable for said album, setting up shows, and getting word out about the band.

As the most dedicated member of the band, Nikki took the initiative in most of these things, but there was too much for him to do by himself. He needed the other guys to help out. Nikki loved Tommy, but he had to admit that he was kinda fucking clueless. Nikki got the impression that he believed fame was going to come overnight, and that all he had to do to achieve it was jam out on his drum kit for a few hours a day. That was nice when Nikki needed a little optimism in his life but for all practical purposes, it wouldn't work.

Vince, on the other hand, Nikki didn't know well enough to judge his work ethic. Mostly because Nikki could hardly stand his primadonna attitude long enough to talk to the guy for more than ten minutes at a time. Their relationship was strictly music and drug based. 

That left Mick Mars as his partner in crime. The old man was definitely busy, having a kid to take care of and working forty hours a week at a laundromat to pay the bills, but Nikki was able to convince him to dedicate Saturday mornings as "Motley work" time, as they called it.

The first Saturday Nikki showed up to the Deal home, he was greeted by a confused young face.

"What are you doing here?" Evie asked when she opened the door. She looked behind Nikki, trying to see if he had brought his friends with him.

Nikki felt a tinge of panic and wondered if, in one of his drunken stupors, he had created imaginary plans with an imaginary Mick.

"Uh," he began.

Just then, Mick appeared behind the girl. "Shit," he said, grabbing the door. "Did I not tell you?" He motioned for Nikki to come in while Evie shook her head. Nikki felt awkward standing in the hallway leading to the door, unsure of whether he was welcome to show himself to the living room. Mick was whispering something to his daughter while she nodded her head, her eyes wide.

Finally, Evie lowered her head and scurried past Nikki, not even acknowledging him.

"Sorry about that," Mick said to him. "I forgot to tell her." He made a face that said 'what can you do,' and led Nikki into the main room of the house. There, Nikki could see the girl picking up sewing supplies and a headless stuffed dog off of the breakfast bar.

"You can stay down here, honey," Mick said. The two men moved into the living room before she could respond.

When Nikki looked back, she was heading the opposite direction with all her supplies hugged tightly against her chest.

Nikki leaned in close to the other man on the couch. "What happened to that poor dog?"

"Science experiment gone wrong," Mick responded in a grave tone. Then, he laughed and picked up a legal pad with the agenda of the day written on it: tracks, shows, publicity.