Off to the Races

December 2, 1983

December 2, 1983

Copenhagen. The first proper European city Evie had ever stepped foot in. Actually, excluding Tommy, it was the first one any of them had ever stepped foot in. Evie didn't know what she was expecting to happen the minute their plane touched down in Denmark, but whatever it was, it didn't happen.

Unlike in the movies, traveling to Europe wasn't this magical, surreal thing that was filled with joy and self discovery every step of the way. The buildings looked different and she couldn't understand the language being spoken, but the city would have been forgettable had she not been traveling with Nikki Sixx.

The band arrived on the second of December, but the show wasn't until the night of the third. This left them with a day to explore the city and hopefully create any chaos they were going to create before it could possibly jeopardize the show.

Evie spent much of the afternoon with her father. After getting settled at the hotel, Mick and Evie went out to eat and then took a taxi down to Langelinie to see the famous Little Mermaid statue. It was fun and the first quality time they spent together in weeks, but there was something different. Evie could tell there was something bothering Mick- something that made him look at her just a little bit differently.

She knew what it was. She knew that before a couple of days ago, Nikki always came back to his and Mick's hotel room in the early hours of the morning, and when he did he was rarely alone. And when he was alone, he was too shitfaced to even talk. Evie knew Mick must have been put off, then, when Nikki showed up in the hotel room at eight a.m., slightly hungover but otherwise content, just two days after he had gone sneaking off to lunch with Evie.

It pissed Evie off. For the last two years Mick partied almost weekly, getting drunk and high off his ass with his insufferable friends and fucking dozens of women who weren't all that much older than Evie. But the second she begins a monogamous, happy relationship with the only man she's ever had a true bond with, Mick does everything he can to make her feel like a shameful whore. Why couldn't he just be happy that she was happy?

Evie wanted to bring it up, defend herself and Nikki, but Mick never directly said anything about it. He just expressed his disapproval through untrusting glances and passive aggressive sighs when she told him about Nikki and her going to the pizzeria in London. She kept telling herself that he would come around to it eventually. He just needed some time to get used to the idea.

Needless to say, Evie did not beg Mick to hang around when he told her he was tired. They went back to the hotel around 6 pm, Mick went up to his room, and Evie went to hers.

"There's been a special delivery," Diana sing-songed when Evie walked in.

"Special delivery?"

Diana nodded and gestured to a white gift box tied with a black bow that was sitting on her bed.

"A guy came about twenty minutes ago saying this was to be delivered to Miss Evie Deal."

"Did they say who it's from?" Evie's mind raced with ideas, but in her heart, she knew there was only one person who it could be.