When Your Heart Beats Next to Mine

February 1, 1984

February 1, 1984

"Now please behave yourself tonight, okay?"

"If you learned anything from last night, it's that behaving isn't exactly my forte."

Evie looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. They made it about twelve hours into the day before either of them mentioned what they did with Tommy. Evie blushed and shook her head. "Just...don't say anything that will embarrass my dad."

"I won't!" Nikki threw his hands in the air. "Your dad embarrasses himself plenty without any need for my help."

"That's what I'm talking about. Don't say shit like that in front of his new girlfriend, alright?"

He wrapped his arms around her. "Will it make you happy?"

"It will make me very happy."

"Then I guess I have to do it." He kissed her cheek. "Happy wife, happy life." And he was off to the minifridge for another beer. Evie froze with the bottle of hairspray at ear-level. Happy wife, happy life.

"Where are we eating anyway?" Nikki reappeared in the doorway.

"Honestly, I have no clue. It's some place called 'The Lodge.' Guess we'll find out when we get there."

When they got there, it was an upscale steakhouse in Baltimore. They went to it straight after the show, not bothering to change. The guys were in their full stage gear: dramatic makeup, teased hair, outfits that consisted of torn fabric and studded leather. Nikki was 6'6 in his five inch heels. Evie came up to his armpit.

Katherine showed up in a lilac crop top, faded jeans, and her bangs combed back in a pouf. Evie could tell from the way she laughed during their handshake that the woman was eccentric.

"And I think you might've already met Nikki," Mick gestured to the bassist.

"Of course," Katherine curtsied. "You packed your bags in a rush this morning, mumbling obscenities under your breath the entire time."

"That I did," Nikki admitted.

When they sat down, Katherine still didn't know that Evie was Mick's daughter, just like she didn't know that Evie and Nikki were dating. To her, Mick was the guitarist, Nikki was the bassist, and Evie was the guitar and bass technician. Logically, the three of them were good friends. They were onto their entrees by the time the façade started to fall apart.

"What do your guys' families think of the band," Katherine asked.

"Yeah, Evie," Nikki was hammered, having drank a bottle of Jack Daniel's during the show and almost two martinis in the half an hour they'd been there. "What does your fuckin family think?" He chuckled.

"They're supportive," she gave Nikki a warning disguised as a smile.

"Really?" Katherine with her crazy eyes asked. "Your parents must be very easy going. I mean, you're so young."