Caught

They enjoyed the rest of their meal, eating as if Evie hadn't been ready to walk out on him ten minutes ago

They enjoyed the rest of their meal, eating as if Evie hadn't been ready to walk out on him ten minutes ago. For the first time, Evie asked him what he had been up to for the last two years. Much of the truth would surely erase the smile from her face, Nikki was smart enough to realize, so he kept it to the condensed version: he spent some time living with a infamous producer, whom he purposefully did not say the name of because Evie had certainly heard of him and the parties he threw, then Nikki moved into his own place in LA once the sales from Shout At The Devil started coming through. Overall, music (and drugs and girls, but he didn't need to say that; Evie already knew) had been his top priority. How about her?

They walked back to the hotel holding hands, Evie telling him about the various jobs she had over the last two years, the classes she took, and her involvement with some of the smaller bands on the Sunset Strip that needed help writing the guitar parts to their songs. This last part made Nikki stop walking and suck in his breath. She was writing songs for other bands?

Evie looked up at him curiously when Nikki seemed offended at the news.

"What?" She teased. "Are you jealous?"

"Maybe a little." Nikki shrugged. "Now tell me more about that torture paper."

Back at the hotel, Nikki waited in the hallway while Evie went into Mick and Nikki's room to grab her things. When she walked in, Mick was sitting on the bed, practicing his guitar.

"Hey," Evie said. "How was the museum?"

"It was alright."

She looked at him, expecting more. Mick stayed quiet, so she started picking up her books. "I came in here to get some work done this morning, when you and Nikki were out. I forgot to take my stuff when I left."

"Sounds like it was a pretty urgent departure. What happened?"

"Oh, Diana came here, wanting to talk to me about something. She got in a fight with Vince and was crying."

Evie was about to make her escape when Mick spoke up again: "Diana, huh? Then why did the guy at the front desk see you leaving with a tall, black-haired rockstar? And not to mention the fact that that leather jacket is way too big to be yours."

Her stomach dropped, and she turned to face him.

"Did you think I wasn't gonna look for you?" Mick said in a deceptively calm tone. "When I saw you up and left all your shit here without leaving a note, and nobody that I called knew where you were? If you were gonna go sneaking off with Nikki, you could have at least tried to hide it."

"I didn't try to hide it because there's nothing to hide. We just went to lunch, that's all. It wasn't even planned."

"Then why did you lie to me about where you were?"