『 regret 』

hiii, everyone!!!!

before you start reading, I just want to thank my girl @Moonfox124 (love you bestie) on Wattpad for writing this for me while I was unmotivated 🔥

(give her a round of applause because she had to do a lot of research about the characters cuz she doesn't play genshin <3)

Don't worry, the rest of the chapters will still be in my writing style, she just helped me out on this one since I was literally dying

Venti's POV

My hands shake as I open the envelope. I know that after I open this, there will be nothing left from Xiao. This is the only thing I have left from him. At first, it hurt so much to even think of him. Looking at the letter was a knife in the heart. I lost my old joyful self. Even now I still feel so much pain, but I need to know. Was it because of me? I take the letter out and start to read.

Dear Venti,
To tell it as it is, my life was a complete mess. At times I would want to break down, and just cry, or try to think of different ways I'd kill myself. But then you appeared. Out of nowhere, like a flash of light in my dark world. The moon in my dark sky. The pearl in the deep dark depths of my soul. The only one who saw me for what I truly was, instead of my cold exterior. I never would have thought that you would have forgotten me. But now, after waiting for two years, I see that there is no hope, ever, of you remembering me.
I used to wonder why I was the one you forgot. You remembered everyone else. If there ever is a chance of you remembering me...if there is...then it's too late. But know that I would never want to cause you pain. Never. Quite the opposite. I don't want you to remember me. I don't want you to feel the pain of remembering. I know that you will find someone. Someone who loves you more than me. I hope you'll be happier, freer, and more like yourself with this person. The reason why I have done what I have done is because I could not wait anymore. I could not go to that dark place again without you lighting it up for me.
If you have remembered by now, I know that you think it was your fault. No, it was not. You were the only thing that helped me remain calm in the few days and months after the incident. But after waiting for two years, I just couldn't. I'm sorry, Venti. It's my fault. All mine. You are perfect in my eyes, and I want you to remain that way. Try to forget me, and forge out a new life with someone new. I'm always watching from the sky, and even if you have forgotten me, I will still remember you. I love you. Goodbye, Venti.
Love, Xiao xx

I break down into tears. My tears splash on the letter which I hold gently in my hands. A few months before, and a few days after Xiao's incident, I remembered him. Why was I too late? How could I find someone new? He was that someone! He was that person who was there for me, who let me cry on his shoulder, and who, even if he was upset, still tried to be upbeat for me. He was the only one I would, and could ever love.
After I read Xiao's letter, It hurt, even more, to even think of him, and I could not bear it. Every time I think of him, an avalanche of emotions falls on me, both warm and cold, both sad and happy. However, most of what I feel is regret. Regret that I could not spend more time with him, regret I was not able to stop him, and most of all, regret that I had forgotten him in the first place. But now I did, and I will never forget him, never until the day I die.