FOURTEEN.

max looked down, eyes furrowed gently with sadness before looking up with a frown. "you need help,"

el looked down too. "i'm just sad,"

max reached over but el gently moved back. "but you're always sad, el. that's bad,"

"oh..."

they were at el's apartment, in her room. she would have invited the others but today, she just wanted to hang out with max.

el traced her fingers over the scars on her thighs, the white bumps making it feel like a ladder on her skin. "do you still have evils, maxy?"

she nodded in response. "sometimes... but i learnt not to listen to it."

el perked up, turning on the position on the bed to face max properly. "how?"

max curled up under her covers more and shrugged. "love. lucas... my family,"

"i don't have a lucas. i don't have family," el's shoulder sunk in disappointment and her eyes gazed down tiredly.

max pointed to the non existent door. "dante... and your friends,"

"dante isn't my.... he's not obligated. he may leave one day when it's too much. he only hangs with me everyday except for work. sometimes i feel like im taking his life away," she admitted quietly before huffing, playing with her fingers. "i dunno..."

"you do that a lot," max pointed out.

"do what?"

"trail off. you used to do that when we first met you, remember?"

"no," el shook her head.

"well you did. until you met mike and you were way more confident." max reached over and gently tapped el's head. "whatever is happening, el... we are here. like you were for us,"

"but i wasn't," her voice cracked as she held back her tears. "i left,"

"i would too, if it was lucas. but, you were there for us before."

her bottom lip quivered. "you yelled at me,"

max let out a loud laugh, shaking her head. "that's 'cuz you wouldn't stop talking about the evils!"

max reached over and wiped her tear. "you need to block out the voices," she murmured. "perhaps find someone,"

"no," el shook her head. "there is no one else!"

max nodded slowly and understandingly. "i know," then she tapped el on the nose with a tiny giggle. "it's okay. 'cuz i love you!"

el instantly smiled widely and leaned closer to her to give her a hug. "i missed you, i'm sorry,"

with a gentle rub to the back, max nodded with a small giggle. "i also found something that helps. ms tate taught me at the hospital,"

el's eyes rolled. "ms tate was the worst,"

"she wasn't too bad. she had the right mindset, not the right actions," she shrugged, standing up to walk to el's desk before pulling out some markers el had.

"what are you doing?" el's brows furrowed as she watched the redhead climb back onto the bed and motioned for el to move.

"what?"

max pushed her legs forward and then uncapped the marker. "i'm gonna draw on you,"

el instantly tucked her legs back and bent her knees. "what!? no! no!"

"el, it'll help you breathe," max gently drew around her scars with a sweet smile. "anything you prefer? or else i'm gonna draw a rainbow,"

"... i like rainbows,"