TWENTY-TWO.

max ☹️

max
are you sad
because i am sad
do you want to be sad with me?

i'm not sad but i don't want you to be either
where do you want to go?

lunch
me
let's talk!!

ok
where

i dunno
cafe?
so we talk 😛

why the emoji

because it's cute

no
meet there in 30

okie dokie

el had arrived first and found a seat in the back, waiting patiently for max to arrive.

she braided a strand of her hair as she waited, biting down on the white strand before kicking her feet.

"ellie," max sat down next to her on the booth instead of across from her. "don't be sad," she smiled and hugged el tightly from the side.

"i'm not very sad," el mumbled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"did you order yet?" max asked and el shook her head. "don't wanna eat,"

max's eyes narrowed. "you have to,"

"no, i don't,"

"yes," max said and picked up the menu. "and you can't throw it up either," she said gently. "you're too skinny, el... i'm worried about you... and you get sadder than usual... i'm the sad one, not you,"

el let out a little whimper. "maxy, you're still sad?"

she shrugged. "a little. lucas makes me feel better," she began to smile. "how is mike?"

"he doesn't remember... but he doesn't run away from me now." el laid her head down on max's shoulder before huffing. "i miss old us though,"

"let's get this truffle scrambled egg sandwich and a pasta—"

"no, that's so much." her head shook but max gave her a look. "tough,"

"i hate lunch with you," el sat back and pricked on the cuts on her arm.

max put down the menu and fully turned to face her. "what's going on with you, el? is something wrong?"

"nothing is wrong... the world is just very very evil," el placed her fingers to her temple. "they are so evil in here,"

max's eyes softened and her face began to form into a frown. "you don't have to hurt yourself because of it—"

"YOU DO TOO!" el exclaimed, her breath increasing. "you don't have to make me feel bad, max!"

"no, el, i'm sorry... i know how you feel," max whispered. "do you remember back at the hospital? and i was so sad that they... they put me into the room,"

"i was in the room once,"

max nodded. "i'm just trying to help, el. you ran away... you... don't be mad but i'm scared for you. you don't get the help you need,"

"and you? you just have lucas. i have no one but dante,"

"lucas helps me by being there for me but i see a therapist too, el," she told her gently. "i think you need to too,"

"no! no, i don't," el shook her head. "i won't, i won't. they can't help me. i take my medicine... i... i do..." she whispered and looked down to her lap.