SIXTEEN.

el waited patiently on the street, mike standing right by her.

she turned to look at him. "you don't have to wait with me. i will be okay,"

"needa make sure you get in the car," he muttered and she nodded happily and looked down at his hand.

she poked his palm. "poke,"

he looked at her weirdly and pulled his hand back as she giggled. "your hands are still big," she placed hers over his. "mine grew though!"

"doubt it. look at your nails. they're longer then ever," his eyes widened as he inspected her sharp black nails. "goddamn,"

she giggled and closed her palm against his. "i remember when you used to hold my hand." she whispered quietly. "you pulled me down the hall like this,"

she swayed their hands happily and when she looked up, a black car rolled in front of them.

letting go in an instant, she gasped happily. "hi dante!" she turned to mike with a soft smile. "see you, mike. i had a great movie date with you,"

"i wouldn't say date," he opened the door for her and she got into the front seat. "it was a date," she scoffed with a huff before shutting the door and rolling down the window. "night night,"

"goodnight, el," he gave her a smile back and a nod at a dante.

el gave a giant wave as dante started the car and once mike was out of view, el turned to face dante properly.

"hihi," she bent and rubbed the top of her head against dante's arm. "i missed you," el pulled back and dante chuckled and reached over to caress her hair.

"you're happy," he stated with a sweet grin. "i'm glad you are. did you have fun?"

she nodded repeatedly. "yesyes! it was a magical movie, dante. thank you for picking me up," she leaned her head against his arm and he smiled and took a turn. "sit properly, it's dangerous,"

she sat up straight instantly. "i'm a good dolly! good good!"

"that's right," he nodded at her and then he opened the cabinet, handing her some crackers. "hungry?"

she shook her head. "not really," she accepted them anyway and played around with the packaging on her lap. "can i tell you about today?"

he nodded. "of course, go on, el,"

she held back a squeal and then she sat up straighter. "he got me presents!" she started off with and he couldn't help but smile at how excited she was, hoping that this happiness within her would actually last.

and that no one would take it away from her ever again.

the world is cruel, she's been wrongly dismissed and treated for most of her life.

he'd help her slay anyone who stands in the way, even if that includes mike.

when el woke up, all the three puppies were sleeping on her.

well pretending.

they were silent but not sleeping. one was about to fall asleep, which was espresso.

a small chuckle escaped her and el reached out to brush their fur. "hi babies... here to sleep with me?"

they perked up, awaken by her presence and went to greet her with kisses. "i'm right here! thank you for all the kisses, my power puffs,"

el laughed at the name that max gave them when she came over and cupped their cheeks. "do you like your names? all the options? the options are magical, aren't they!?"