NINETEEN.

with shaky hands, el gently brushed through her hair through her vanity mirror, trying her best to get ready and to actually look good.

a small sigh escaped her when she threw the brush down, glancing down at the visible cuts on her thighs.

as her hands traced over it, she slumped against her chair, unsure of what to do next.

dante passed her bedroom, leaning against the doorframe as he spoke up. "need some help?"

her head turned and she gave a small nod. "yes, please..."

he walked into her room, taking her brush into his hand before he gently brushed through her strands. "you look beautiful, el. new dress?"

she nodded slowly. "yes... do i? i... i wanted to look nice but i can't... can't brush my hair. and my makeup— makeup doesn't look good. i cant do the laces either..."

"a date with mike?"

she nodded.

he smiled gently. "i'll help you, don't worry," he looked at her through the mirror. "how would you like your hair to be? down or braids?"

she shrugged. "help me decide,"

"let's do two little braids and tie them behind. you can have some hair down but don't bite on it,"

she held back a grin as she bit down on her lip. "i'll try..." she wiped her face and sighed.

"el, don't worry. you look beautiful, okay? he'll think so too," dante tied up her hair and smiled widely. "where are you headed? do you need me to drive?"

her head shook. "no but... you can drive me back? if it's too late? i dunno..."

he bent to her height as she turned back to face him. "well, if you need anything, just call me. i'll always be here,"

her arms opened and she moved forward to embrace him in a hug. "thank you..." she moved back and her brows furrowed. "tomorrow... we need hang, right? because you need..."

"you don't have to join me—"

"i want to," she cut him off. "i will be there. with you."

he reached out and gently held the side of her face. "thank you, el,"

that made her smile from ear to ear genuinely. "of course!" her head dipped for her forehead to touch his. "she deserved better," she lifted her head up before smiling and standing.

"do you like my shoes?" she held her feet out, the laces of her heels dangling which made him chuckle. "of course... i bought them with you," he reached out to help her tie it quickly before standing.

"remember your bag. your keys too," he helped her. "and remember—"

"i do! i do!" she exclaimed happily and then giggled. "i need go now," she swayed back and forth on her feet and he nodded before walking her all the way to the door.

she gave him only final hug with the widest smile before pulling back to gently tap his nose. "i love you, dante. i will be back soon!"

"have fun, el. you got this, okay? you deserve the world," he reminded her with a smile and she managed to nod.

"that's good," he moved to the side for the puppies to bid her goodbye.

"i will be back, my lovely pups! gimmie kiss," she bent to them and they each gave her a kiss on the cheek.

she straightened up and then gave them one last pet. "bye bye!" she waved happily and then turned to walk down the hall towards the elevators.