- 20: Baby I'm So Sorry -

Izuku hears talking coming from downstairs while he is in his room studying. His phone is continuously buzzing on his bed, which he ignores with practiced ease. 

Seriously, you would think that Ishida would get it that Izuku wanted a little bit of space to just get his shit in order, but apparently not. 

The talking downstairs seems one sided, so he assumes it is just his mom on the phone. He tunes it out to focus on the last couple of practice problems on his workbook before there is a knock on his bedroom door. 

"Izuku! Guess what!" 

She sounds very excited, and Izuku swirls his chair around to face the door. 

"It's open mom!" 

She bursts in not even a second later. The door would have hit the wall harshly if it wasn't for the door stopper bouncing it back. She has a big smile on her face, her eyes shining as she walks into his room. 

"Mitsuki just called me and invited us over for dinner tonight!" 

Izuku smiles back at her as she practically vibrates with excitement before it dawns on him. He's going to be going to Bakugo's house, eating dinner across from him, and having to be there with all of their parents. 

He tries not to show his nervousness on his face as inko happily bounces in his room. 

"Thats... great mom. Can't wait." 

Inko lets out a small sound of excitement, clasping her hands. 

"I know! It's been so long; it'll be great to catch up with everyone! And." 

She looks into his eyes and leans closer to him. 

"Katsuki will be there!" 

She almost whispers, and he can feel his lips pull back as he tries to keep his smile from revealing anything. 

"I know mom. He does live there." 

She looks at him, her own bright smile faltering slightly as her eyes dampen slightly. 

"What's wrong Izuku?" 

He curses himself. Best thing he could do is try to play it off. There is no way that he's telling his mom anything about his and Bakugo's relationship. It would be too much of everything. Too embarrassing, too shameful and too pathetic.

 He would never tell her about how he practically prayed every single day that everything would go back to how their childhood was and that Bakugos would one day look at him like he did before. 

How he had thought that every single time Bakugou would beat him up with his goons laughing over his shoulders he would feel at least a little glad that he was at least taking up some form of the blonde's attention. 

He could barely admit those things to himself but saying it out loud to his mom would be a completely new low that he never plans to stoop to. So instead, he says, 

"Nothing mom, it's just a little weird seeing him..." 

He should have just said nothing in the first place because his mom sits down on his bed, the mattress dipping down. Her brows are furrowed in concern, her hands folded on her lap. 

Izuku's eyes pinpoint the movement of his phone sliding towards her leg. 

"Why would it be weird Izuku? You two have been friends since childhood." 

Izuku looks away from her for a second before looking back. He twists the fabric of his pants between his fingers, feeling the fabric bunch up in small areas. 

"It's hard to explain mom, it would just be weird. We aren't... on good terms anymore." 

Inko has a surprised look on her face and her mouth opens slightly as she leans forward. She sputters for a moment. 

"B-but Izuku, when did this happen? Did you two have a fight?" 

Izuku could go on for hours and hours about this, but not about them actually fighting, more like Izuku getting the shit beaten out of him. 

But of course, he won't. 

Because Bakugou i- 

"No mom it's just complicated, ok? The point is that we aren't talking anymore." 

Inko sighs, her shoulders falling slightly. 

"Izuku. You two have been together since you could barely walk. Besides, talking is how you work through problems. Maybe that's what you need. Maybe talking to him is how you two get over this 'complicated' fight. Besides," 

She casts a dark look at his phone that has not stopped vibrating for even a moment this whole time. She turns away from it and looks back at him, giving him a grin as she swings her legs back and forth slightly. 

"When you work this out with Katsuki, you can spend a little more time with him and a little less time with you know who." 

Izuku flushes and covers his face, swirling his chair away from her. 

"Mom! Thats so rude, don't say that!"

Inko puts her hands up, frantically looking at him, a smile on her lips. 

"I know I know! But it's true! Don't tell anyone i just said that!" 

Izuku turns back to her and smiles, a playful glint in his eyes. 

"Fine i won't tell a soul." 

"Good. What is said in this room stays in this room." 

Inko stands up from the bed and walks over to him, cupping his cheek. 

"Promise me that you'll talk to him when we go over ok?" 

Izuku wants to say no. He just wants to pretend to be sick, so he doesn't have to go. Maybe make up a lie about needing to finish an important assignment for school. Something to get him out of this. 

But when he looks up at her soft eyes that are just like his, feels her rough hand on his cheek, he can't find it in himself to say no. 

"Ok mom. I promise I'll try and talk to him." 

She smiles brighter at him and makes another excited noise, practically skipping out of his room, her phone in her hand. 

"Ok! I'm going to talk to Mitsuki for a bit!" 

Izuku watches her leave, his smile falling slightly. 

He isn't the type of person to go back on a promise.