Chapter Seven

Ace

I make my way into the kitchen, wanting to make Constance and Noah a few sandwiches. Cherry sits at the table with a Sudoku puzzle book out and a pen in his hand. A small smile rests on his face as he looks down at the book and his reading glasses hang off the edge of his nose.

"Hey Cherry," I greet him as I walk over to the refrigerator. Softly, I pull the door open to look at all of the options.

"Do you want me to make you some food, Ace? You don't need to do that yourself when I'm here, it's my job," he offers with a cheery smile.

"No, it's okay. You take a couple of hours off, I'll message you when I figure out when we would like dinner, okay? Maybe you could go to the massage room if you don't want to go anywhere," I tell him, knowing the man must be tired with how early he gets here.

"Thank you, Ace!" Cherry grins and waddles out of the kitchen, his sudoku book in hand. His footsteps slowly become quieter as he gets farther away.

I take my time making the sandwiches, knowing that there's not much I need to do today and I can go slow. When the sandwiches are all put together and smelling good, I place them on the plate and head out of the kitchen.

Turning to the downstairs living room, I pause and remember that I wanted to order something for Constance. It's a pink fluffy bean bag, I was hoping she'd like it for the upstairs living room.

I shake my head at myself for forgetting and turn around and head to my office, being careful not to drop the plate or the sandwiches on it.

It doesn't take me long for me to enter the room, I set the plate down and quickly make my way to my desk and open my laptop. The screen comes to life and a photo of the item pops up, I smile and put it in my cart then speed through the buying process.

Soon enough, I press "Complete Order" and move on, almost booking it out of the room. The floor squeaks very softly under me as I move through the hallway, pushing through the doors to the ballroom and heading for the stairs. I skip down them like a teenager, taking two at a time.

I hope Constance is okay.

As I quickly make my way to the living room, I hear a door open behind me and shut loudly. Ignoring it, I move on, figuring it's probably Cherry forgetting something.

Taking the corners short, I almost run into the wall as I stop suddenly. My mom.

She stands tall, a confident smile sitting on her face. Unlike me, she has dark, brown eyes that only seem to make her face more defining. Under her left eye, she has a small mole that sits gently. Jet black hair flows down over her shoulders and then quickly comes down to an end. Today, she's wearing a red, silk dress that slits from her knee down to her ankle.

"Mom?" I question, watching her as she stands in front of the staircase, looking around with an obnoxious smug. "Why are you here?"

"What? Do I need an excuse to see my beautiful son?" She scoffs loudly with a raised eyebrow.

"No, I suppose not, but-" I stop.

"You suppose not?" She cuts me off.

"No, I suppose not. Though, a warning would be incredibly nice," I repeat, dominance oozing from my loud voice.

"Whatever," She scoffs. As she continues to speak, her face twists into a smile. "Anyway, I'm here to tell you something from your father."

"And why couldn't he just call?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at her as my arms cross. I'd much rather talk to my father instead of my mother.