Chapter Twenty

Ace

"Welcome!" Says the woman behind the counter. She's dressed in a simple white top that's tucked into her skirt and she has an obnoxious look on her face. 

"Hi," I say, I open my mouth to speak more but Constance beats me to it. 

"We're your boss's 9am," She says sweetly. 

"Alrighty! It will be about a 10-minute wait as he's working on something, but you can go in as soon as he's done!" The receptionist smiles, looking us both over with a sly eye. 

"I appreciate it," I smile forcefully and pull Constance away from her and across the room. 

"Uhm, excuse me?" She squeaks, pulling away from me and crossing her arms. The receptionist goes back to her phone but keeps a nosy eye on us. 

"Why do you have attitude today? I can't figure out a single reason and honestly, I don't want to put up with it today," I ask her, mocking her crossed arms. 

"I don't have attitude," She huffs, rolls her eyes, and turns away from me. 

"Yes, you do," I say, pulling her to face me again. She looks me in the eyes and leans close, we pause for a second and my eyes linger on her lips slightly. 

"No, I don't," She grumbles. 

"Yes, you do, baby. Why can't you just be a good girl?" I ask her, grabbing her chin and pulling her face close to mine. "I know you can, so why won't you be a good girl for me?"

Her eyes darken at my words and she almost melts in my hand, I know I have her right where I want her, but that fucking receptionist butts in. 

"He's ready for you," She says with a snarky voice. 

I sigh and rub my forehead, trying to get rid of my building frustration. A bratty little makes for a shitty day. 

Straightening out my shirt, I follow Constance over to where the man who we're supposed to see awaits us. She rushes forward to shake his hand politely. 

"Ace," He turns and greets me, continuing to shake her hand gingerly. "It's nice to meet you, miss. This is an absolutely adorable one you've got here, congratulations!" 

He grabs his beer belly as his laughter bellows out through the room. Just him breathing the same air as my Constance makes me want to shoot him on the spot, much less shake her hand the way he is now. 

"Can we just get this meeting over with, Jason?" I ask with a low glare, pulling Constance to my side protectively. 

"Of course, of course, come on in," He laughs. "We can use my downstairs office for now."

Constance doesn't hesitate to leave my side to follow him and I frustratingly follow behind. I'm about two seconds away from strangling her, I swear. 

With a smile, Jason sits in his seat and motions to the two chairs in front of his desk. 

"As I said over the phone, we can't ship the packages. Nothing you say today will change that," Jason says with a chuckle, pouring himself a whiskey as if he's the man of the room. 

"Why can't you ship them?" Constance asks, butting in. 

Jason grins and turns his attention to her. "Someone is refusing to let us use their port from now on unless we stop selling for you."

Constance goes to open her trap again and speak, but I wrap a hand around her thigh harshly, and her mouth snaps shut again. 

"Are you going to tell me who?" I raise an eyebrow. Not that it would be that hard to find out, we just need to figure out who has connections with the owner.