Chapter Eleven

Constance

As much as I hoped for Ace's confidence and reassurance to make me feel at home in the store, my anxiety did not lessen as we pushed our way through the stands. I hear the register lady welcoming another customer and I swallow, holding Ace's hand tighter. 

Focusing on the room around me, I look at the different things that decorate the store. Beautiful dresses and skirts line most of the wall, shorts hung up above them to show off the bright style. Racks of clothes take up most of the room, but Ace pulls me along to the back. 

Blinking, the area changes and now there are shelves filled with pacifiers, clips, bibs, diapers, and more. I look around curiously, wondering what he'd decide on.

I watch carefully as he lowers himself down to my level, rubbing his thumb on my chin and working up to massage my lip. Instinctively and filled with the want to suck on something, my mouth parts open, letting his thumb push inside as I look up to him. 

"We're going to try out some new things, okay?" He says, grinning softly at me as he plays with my tongue then pulls his thumb out of my mouth. "Maybe we can find you something... better, for that." 

He quickly stands up and takes my hand again, leading me off somewhere in the store. I frown as I follow, but listen as he talks again. 

"You can pick out three - the price doesn't matter - just pick out whatever ones you think are better for you," He says as we come to a stop. I look up to a wall lined with glass shelved, decorated pacifiers neatly lined one after another. "I'm going to be right behind you back here, looking for something, so just call for me if you need me, okay?" 

I nod at him quickly, not wanting to hold him back from being needy and watch as he turns around and goes to the opposite wall - right in clear view. Letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding, I turn back to my wall. 

The glass shelves, which are pretty in and of themselves, have LED lights along the back of them. It's gorgeous, and the pacifiers that are lined on the top are even more pretty. A few of them stand out to me; one that says "KITTEN" with cat ears on the top, another that says "SUCK ME" with a lollipop on the front. Out of all of them, those are probably my favorites. 

A couple of other ones look alright - one has a soap bar on the front and says "I'm dirty!" and then another that says "BABYGIRL" with nothing but pink glitter. There are a bunch with no glitter or design, just a plain color. I quickly grab the first two I saw, knowing I have to have them, but I'm lost when it comes to a third. 

At the very top of the shelves, a few feet taller than me, I see one with a mushroom with a white base. A grin flies onto my face and I try to reach it, standing on my tippy toes. It's just barely out of my reach and I huff, getting increasingly frustrated as I jump and tap it further back onto the shelf. The smallness, previously kicked to the backseat, bubbles back up with my frustration. 

"Ace!" I call quietly, nearly in a whisper. He doesn't turn around and I frown, trying a couple more times but he doesn't hear, thinking too deeply. 

With a pout, I waddle over and stand in front of him, trying to get his attention without making a loud fuss. He's looking up to the taller shelves and so, in return, doesn't see me.

Leaning over, I stick my tongue out and slowly lean forward, giving him a chance to look down and notice me before I lick him. He jumps, looking down at me. 

"Hey!" He says with a warm smile, rubbing my head. "Did you get them all?"

"Can't reach," I mumble, pouting at him and sending him a glare. "I yell."