Chapter Ten

Constance

I cry out loudly, screaming to the empty room and glaring at the floor which seems so very far from the bed. I've hardly struggled with it before, but this particular nap has seemed to put me in a place that I most definitely don't want to be in. 

The last of what seems like fucking forever, I've been sitting here trying to get off of this stupid bed to go find Ace but I can't even get down!

Pushing my screeches to reach heights they never have before, I sob out for Ace. It didn't take him long to come busting into the room; the door slammed against the wall so hard it almost cracked and his gun aimed high at the ready. 

Once he surveys the room and decides there's no danger, he rushes up to me and picks me up, cradling me in his arms. 

"What's wrong, bunny? Did you have another nightmare?" He questions worriedly, rubbing my back and kissing my head. 

"I no down! I no down!" I cry into his shoulder, sobbing frantically. 

"You couldn't get down?" He confirms, still holding me in his arms safely. 

"Uh-huh," I whimper, hugging his neck tightly. 

"I'm sorry, love," He rubs my back comfortingly. "Let's get you some lunch and get you ready, okay?"

I nod into his chest and he carries me into my room, which I've quite obviously, neglected the past couple of days. After he gets my clothes set out, struggling the entire time with the way I'm hanging to him, he looks at me. 

"Do you think you can do it, or would you like it if I helped?" He questions gently. 

"Hep, pease!" I giggle at him. He smiles and begins the process of getting me dressed. 

---- 

Finally, Ace carries me out of the large front doors and out towards a black SUV-looking vehicle. I absolutely love the outfit he picked out for me, if you want a man who knows how to dress you, then Ace is it!

It mainly consists of pink and purple - the skirt being a plaid mixture of the two and the thigh highs being either which one. My crop top, a matching purple, has "princess" in big, bold, and capital letters written across the front. Lastly, I have a matching pink, open sweater on top. 

Thankfully, Ace managed to find my glasses so I get to wear those today as well! He also styled my hair into two separate braids on both sides of my face with the rest of it flowing behind me. 

Ace quickly places me in the passenger seat and buckles me up, I tell him a quick thank you before he shuts the door and I check out the car. The sound system looks delightful and I continue to look at the buttons that control it. Ace opens the driver's seat door and sits down, proceeding to start the car. 

The headspace part of me gets pushed to the backseat as I listen to the roar of the engine, a nice purr set under us. The sound reminds me of the taste of a cigarette - making the urge hit me right in my face. 

"Am I allowed to smoke?" I question quickly, I don't want to be rude even though the car reeks of cigars. 

"As long as you don't hurt yourself," He responds coolly, looking over to me quickly before going back to the road. 

I light up a smoke quickly before he can change his mind, I haven't had anything to relieve my headache today. As I continue to smoke, the pain recedes to a dull ache and I decide to start a conversation. 

"So... Where are we going?" I ask with a smile. 

"To the store, we need to pick up a few things for you," He grins proudly and mischievously. 

"Like what?" I question, raising an eyebrow at him. 

"You'll see," He says, ending it there. Not before long, he takes a hard left and I look around for a hint as to where we're going.

Soon enough, I see a tiny mall with a cluster of people roaming around the outside. 

"A mall?" I look towards him with wide eyes as he parks. 

"A special mall, you'll like it," He grins again, though more encouragingly this time. 

"If you say so," I mumble, looking back at the mall with uncertainty. Ace pushes open his door and I hastily do the same, hoping to not get left behind. He waits patiently at the rear of the car, though a slightly disappointed look on his face. 

"Next time, I want you to stay in the car until I come to open your door and unbuckle you - you don't need to be doing that shit, baby," He mumbles to me, placing a protective hand across my lower back. I blush and nod accordingly, biting my lip as I think. 

"So..." I start with a blush. "Why is this mall special? And why do you think I'll like it so much?" 

Ace stays quiet, as he leads me to the doors, then stops suddenly. His voice is deep but comforting and safe. "Just trust me, okay? If you're good then I'll buy you a stuffie." 

His cheeky grin and welcoming promise push me to my small side with beckoning arms. I quietly nod and grab his sleeve, making a 'go ahead' gesture with my other hand. 

Guiding me indoors, his grin grows bigger as I glance around curiously. 

I notice the people first; a few girls dressed up in dresses or skirts are accompanied by someone who leads or carries them around. A couple of adults stand alone peeking inside windows, trying to figure out whether that's the store they want to venture into. Chairs and tables neatly litter the middle of the huge hallways and I see a few girls sitting on their company's lap. 

"This is the girl section, so most of the shoppers here are shopping for girl stuff, not many little boys in this area. But if you want, we can shop in the boys' area. It's fine with me," Ace suggests openly, not wanting to point me in a specific spot. 

I continue shifting my head around, peeking at the walls and decorations. Cute drawings are all over the place, mostly rainbows or kittens and the walls are painted with all kinds of colors. 

A small shop catches my eye, it looks similar to the photos of Hot Topic that I've seen online. A smile pushes itself onto my face and I start to go towards it, only to be pulled back by a strong arm. 

"Hey, I need you to stay close to me, please," He mumbles firmly into my ear. "It doesn't happen often, but some little girls and boys get taken here. It's very rare but I don't want it to happen to you, okay?"

Shivering, half with fear and half with a whole new emotion, I nod quickly and stumble to grab his sleeve again.

"Now, where did you want to go?" He smiles down at me, waiting patiently for me to lead the way. I quickly pull and tug him along to the store, only to stop dejectedly outside the big doors. A sign saying "CLOSED" hangs sadly on the front and I frown angrily. 

"It's closed..." I mumble to him, shuffling near his legs and leaning my back against him. His hand raises to my head and softly tangles itself in my hair. 

"It's okay, we can come back another day when it's open. I do know a certain store that we need to stop by - let's go there and pick you up a couple of things. If you see any other stores you want to visit then we can stop on our way out, okay?" Ace says gently, his voice reassuring and warm. I nod as we begin to head to the store he's talking about - I walk slowly and read every store sign as we pass. 

It doesn't take us very long to pass through the corridor and get to the shop - the outside of it is decorated with human-sized flowers and a pale yellow background. "Sunny Days" is written out in mismatching colored letters at the top. 

The inside looks inviting and packed with all kinds of things, the smiling employee stands waving at the register. 

"Let's see if you're interested in some things here, they may help you," He says softly, smiling down at me. I nod again, trying to keep an open mind as anxiety pours into my chest. Biting down the urge to shove my thumb into my mouth and tuck myself into Ace's chest, I walk forward with my hand in his.