Chapter Fifteen

Constance

"Why are you up so early?" I hear from behind me. I turn around, expecting to see Ace, staring at me with a messy bedhead and his comfy sweats. But instead, there's Noah - dressed neatly in black pants and a skin tight shirt, staring at me with worry written on his face. 

"Thinking," I tell him with a small smile, raising my cigarette to show him that I'm also taking my morning smoke. 

"About what? It's not great to keep it all bottled up in your head. Also, where is Ace?" He asks, walking forward to stand beside me. 

"Still asleep I think," I mumble to him, looking out towards the garden.

"Why didn't you wake him up? He would've come out here with you," Noah questions, looking out into the garden as well. I lift my cigarette and take a long drag, blowing the smoke away from him. 

"I wouldn't be able to think if he was out here," I say shortly. 

"What are you thinking about?" He asks. 

"I feel like I'm being interrogated," I laugh, trying to shake him off my ass. Metaphorically, of course. 

"Come on, seriously," He says softly, bumping my shoulder. 

"Are you gonna tell Ace?" I ask him, looking up at him through my eyelashes. 

"Not if you don't want me to, but if it's something that's going to be dangerous to you then I will have to," he says, trying to reassure me but keep things straight with me. 

"I haven't been here very long," I start, pausing to think over how I want to say this. Noah raises an eyebrow at me, wanting me to go on. "I haven't been here very long; when I first got here, I didn't know Ace whatsoever and I still don't know him very well. He's informed me of some things that can better help me understand myself in the future once I figure it out, but how can I know that he won't use it against me? I can't leave, though I've left with supervision once. I hardly know any of you, yet I'm living here like I grew up knowing you. It's disturbing, a little bit. You could turn me into my father any day, probably for a good amount of money, too. I just, I don't know. Am I making a good choice here? Should I trust you guys?"

Noah stays silent, thinking with a stone face. He takes a deep breath before he speaks, slow and thoughtful. "I think you need to say something to Ace about this. I can't speak for him, but I think you would be happier with the outcome if you told him."

"Maybe, thank you for listening. I should probably get back now," I say, quickly stubbing my cigarette in the ashtray and setting it on the table. "He'll wake up soon and I don't want him to freak out."

"Of course, I'll listen whenever you need me to, I am your guard," Noah snorts, smiling softly at me. I shake my head and hug him, then head back in through the doors of the balcony and into the hallway. 

The walk back to Ace's bedroom isn't very long, but it's most definitely interesting. The walls are lined with paintings and statues, you can tell he's spent his money's worth on everything here. There are some werewolves with moons and beaches with mermaids. You can tell whoever decorated these hallways like fantasy stories. 

Soon enough, I reach the wooden door to his bedroom. Hesitating for a moment, I push the door open to see Ace sitting up in bed and looking down at his phone. He's shirtless with his grey sweats on and an angry look etched onto his face. 

His black hair slightly dangles over his eyes as he scratches the back of his neck, right where a snake tattoo sits. His head lifts upwards towards me and a loopy smile grows on his expression. 

"I was wondering where you ran off to, I was about to send out a search party," He jokes with a grin and watches me stand there with a furrowed eyebrow.