Chapter Nineteen

Constance

"No, dad, no!" I screech, my feet thumping under me and pounding against the bare ground as I run frantically. My father stands at the top of the stairs, blocking the front doors with a sadistic grin plastered on his face. Dogs bark rabidly behind me, holding their own against my speed as I desperately try to get away from them, swerving around a rare tree here and there. 

I hear one of them whine loudly as it smacks against the thick stump. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a gun glint under the sunlight in my father's hand. I screech again, throwing myself to the left and barrel-rolling before scrambling to get up again. 

Looking at where I was just a split second ago, a hole is embedded into the ground and the grass is splintered. 

Choking back a sob, I push myself to move forward. The dogs are still chasing - motivated as ever. Tears threaten to dribble down my face but I blink them away, needing to see. A snap sounds from behind me and I glance to see a dog right there, millimeters from snatching my clothing in its teeth. 

"Back!" I yell, needing it to get away, to falter for a second, to let me gain just a foot of space. 

I look back at the house, wishing and hoping for someone, anyone to yell out, to help me. I don't care who, just anyone. People stand in the windows, peeking curiously to see the ruckus out front, I can almost hear their booming laughter. 

A blood-curdling scream rings out in the yard, who could be making that noise? 

It takes me a couple of seconds to register the fact that it's me who's screaming, trying to continue running as a dog is latched onto my hip - its teeth bearing viciously. 

Releasing a sob, I let myself fall to the ground and the dogs circle me, growling furiously while waiting for orders. 

The grass crunches as someone approaches me, getting closer and closer by the second. 

"You should've listened to me, hun," my father says raspily, a chuckle following it. Desperation and fury flow through my veins at his words, making me wish these dogs would let loose and just kill me already. 

"I don't want to marry him, Dad. I don't want to be here with you anymore, I'd rather die," I cry out, tears dripping down the sides of my face. 

"You'll do what I say, then you'll die. That's all you're good for, you would've lived. You could've been happy, but then you ran away. I'll find you, I swear that I will, and you'll regret the day you thought of leaving me," He growls, bending down to take a fistful of hair and then yanking me up, holding me off the ground by the hair. 

"No!" I scream in response, kicking at him as hard as I can, trying to get away. "Let me go! Let me go or just fucking kill me! Kill me already!" 

His manic and booming laughter fills my ears and he slaps me. 

A loud, ear-curling scream shakes me awake and it takes me a second to realize that it's mine. Noah stands over me, shaking me like crazy. His eyes are wide and worry is all over his face. 

"Cons! You need to get up, you're okay!" He says, pulling me up. 

I wrap my arms around myself and look around frantically, pushing myself to the headboard of the bed. A sob wracks my body and I put my face to my knees, curling into a ball. 

Noah reaches out to touch me and I coil away, screaming bloody murder. 

"Okay! I won't touch you, please calm down! I'm sorry," He pleads, backing away a couple of feet.