Chapter Eighteen

Ace

I watch as Constance happily sets down her chopsticks and looks around the room, a lazy smile painted on her small face. 

"Ready to go?" I question aloud, looking over to her and enjoying her blissful expression. 

"Mhm, but go where?" She questions, her doe eyes sliding to mine. 

"You'll just have to wait and see, bunny," I laugh. I stand quickly from my seat, walking over to pull Constance's chair out for her. She slowly stands, stretching as she does. We grab our things and walk over to the register where a tired girl waits, boredom evident on her face. 

"Are you guys done for the night?" The girl asks, putting on a polite smile. 

"Absolutely," I answer, handing over my card for her to swipe. She smiles politely as she takes the card and runs it through. 

"Have a good evening, you guys," She tells us, handing the card back over with my receipt. 

"Thank you, I hope the same for you," I tell her politely - turning to lead Constance to the entry doors and she pauses before we step out. 

"Where will we go? I can't wait but I wanna know," she giggles happily, looking up at me with her mesmerizing doe-ish, emerald eyes. 

"Oh?" I tease, looking down at her as I raise my hand to her cheek, rubbing it softly with the pad of my thumb. Her face slightly leans into it, but she doesn't let it go too far. Her face is perfect - soft to the touch, freckles scatter her flushed cheeks, and her cute little nose is just a little button adornment. "But you might have to."

A small pout forms on her lips and she peeks up at me, disappointed. Her glasses are round and shiny, making her eyes look even more big on her little face. 

"I'm just kidding, beautiful. It's only a block or two away, not too long of a wait," I smile, chuckling as I play with a piece of her hair. She giggles and nuzzles my hand - still attached to her cheek - before I let go and push open the door, holding it open for her. 

"Hmm... Nope, I think that would ruin the surprise," I grin, my eyes following her as she takes a couple of steps out of the building and latches herself to my sleeve. She looks up at me with a small frown before it quickly gets replaced with a smile. 

"I can guess, though, right?" She questions, her eyes sparkling in the yellow street lights. Her dress, the gorgeous forest green makes her skin almost white in comparison, flows gently in the wind as we walk in unison. The sushi restaurant quickly disappears behind us as we go, my eyes trained on Constance.

"Of course, you can!" I laugh, rubbing her waist gently. I can feel her warmth through the dress, radiating from her body like the sun. It takes everything in me to hold back the part of me that wants to smash my face onto hers and kiss her until she's hitting me, blue-cheeked. 

"Is it an amusement park?" 

"No, bunny,"

"Hmm, an arcade?" 

"Nope," I grin. 

"A zoo?" 

I suck in a deep breath, turning her away from the corner that's hiding her surprise, and grin down at her. "It's something like that, are you ready?"

She smiles up to me, her face painted over with excitement, and she nods up to me haphazardly. 

"Okay, come on," I tell her, pushing her softly to turn the corner to reveal it. She does so, pausing as she looks - her mouth open, a hand covering it, and her eyes widened.