9. Where did it all begin?

Phayu was happy as he sat at his desk looking at his phone.  He was re-reading messages from Rain.  After their time on the island, Rain was more comfortable being around him.  They had a lot in common and conversations were never short.  After Phayu had taken Rain back home he was worried that Rain would pull away again.  But as promised, Rain slowly began a friendship with Phayu.

Phayu knew that Rain had spoken with Sky about what happened and what had been said.  At first Sky was uncomfortable with what had happened between them, but lucky for him Pai managed to vouch for P'Phayu sincerest intentions towards Rain, and he explained to Sky about Phayu dreams.  

They had gotten together and tried to decode Phayu dreams, they wanted to find hard facts or land locations from the dreams.  They were all coming back to Phayu house that night to look at maps, also Pai had found some documents that seem to match names, dates and locations in the dreams.  Phayu also had some history books in the areas they had highlighted.   He looked at the time and realised that it was after 5pm.  He jumped up and grabbed the books, he waved at the office staff as he rushed from the building.  He could not wait to see Rain again. 

Back at Phayu house, the group had all the information spread out before them.  Sky was ready with his notebook.  "Lets start this" Rain said, Phayu smiled at him.  He hoped that they found the answers they needed to bring them closer. 

400 years ago. 

"Rain, we have no choice" Sky was trying to calm Rain down as they sat in their carriage, "It is what our fathers have agreed upon"

Rain turned to look at his friend, "Brother, this is not right, they have taken us from our homeland to marry us to men!..........did you hear me? to MEN!!!" 

"I know, I know brother" Sky looked as unhappy as Rain, "But they say it is for the good of our families, look we are the second sons and this is how we serve our family"

"By marrying son's from that family" Rain sneered at Sky, "We are marring their sons, not daughters!" Rain looked out at the new city that they had just entered, "This is wrong"

Sky remained silent as he knew Rain discontentment was the same as his own.  For the life of him, he does not understand why their fathers thought this was a good idea.  Maybe this is a normal thing in their culture but this was not right in our culture.  Just what was their fathers going to gain from this odd union?

They arrived at the manor to where both of their fathers where dwelling.  Rain stormed into the hall. 

"Father!" He shouted, "have you lost your mind with this?" he asked

"Rain, do not shout at me" his father warned him, "You will carry out our agreement"

"Why?" Rain shouted, this time his father got up and slapped him hard across the face.

"I said, do not shout at me" He bellowed at Rain, 

Rain fell silent and looked at the floor, this was the second time his father had struck him in his life.  The first was when a stupid plan to fly that had almost gotten Sky and himself killed.  Sky looked over and tried to give him a look of comfort. 

Sky father shot a look of disapproval towards his friend, "Boon-Nam, do not strike that child in front of me again" His voice rung out clearly though the wall, "Do not take our troubles out on him.

"Chaiya, the boy is wilful"  Boon-Nam complained.

"Not a good enough reason, next time I will strike you" The two friends looked at each other, the tension was rising.  This was not normal for the two friends to be at odd's with each other.