10. Unpicking History

400 years ago

Rain looked back at the boys and long hair boy stepped forward. "Oh shit" Rain whispered.

Phayu turned his head sharply and frowned.  Sky covered his face with his fan and bite his lip to stop the laughter.   His father just glared at him, Rain looked at the floor - his face flush red with embarrassment.  "Shit!" Rain though, he did not realise that he had said that out loud.  He did not dare to raise his eyes.

"Yes, well umm Sky?" Kinn directed his question to the other boy who was clearly struggling not to laugh, "Yes sire" came a strangled voice behind the fan

"This is my son, Pai, your soon to be husband.  Sky looked up and saw that the shorter hair guy was also struggling to hold in his own laugher.  His bowed towards Sky, he lowered his head for a little longer than what was necessary.

"Well, this is a joyful day" a man they later came to know was called Porsche said, "I say they the new couples take a walk, while we talk details" he addressed Rain and Sky's dad.

The young men bowed towards their fathers and then were lead to the gardens.  

Rain and Sky walked behind Pai and Phayu, Rain was sending Sky death glares for still giggling.  Looking towards the two older boys, he could also see that Pai was also still struggling to hide his laugher.  Phayu, on the other hand, looked forward and had his back straight. 

"Oh great" thought Rain, "he is going to hold that against me, I was right in thinking he was rule follower"  Rain signed, this made Phayu look back.

"I am sorry that your so disappointed in their choice of husband for you" his voice was deep and cold.  Rain looked up quickly and held his eyes.  He opened his mouth to say something but Phayu turned away.

All of a sudden Sky stopped smiling and looked at Rain who looked like he had been slapped again, "Ok this is not funny anymore" Sky thought.  He looked at Pai and realised he had also stopped laughing and was looking at Phayu.  Sky realised he was looking at Phayu with concern.

They soon stopped at seating area and were directed to sit down.  The meeting between them was stiff and very awkward.  Pai tried a few times to lighten the mood, but failed.  All four men were glad when they were summoned back to the hall.  Uninvited visitors had came to the hall and were causing issues.

They arrived back at the hall to find four other families there.  They stood at the entrance and listened to the fight. 

"Listern here Kinn" Theeraphob was shaking his finger at Kinn, "You know that Pai was supposed to marry my daughter Rungnapa!". His wife was by his side and looked just as angry, there daugher was standing behind them looking like he wanted to be anywhere by there.  The poor girl just kept her head down.  

"Our grandfathers expected us to join our houses"  Theeraphob carried on screaming.

"No your grandfather wanted that" Kinn said in a low voice, "Our grandfather told us to keep looking for better matches.  So we did"

"Someone better than my daughter? A man?" Theeraphob almost flew in a rage.  

"There is not official agreement in place" Porsche calmly stated, "I have no idea why you forced your way in here today.  Such bad manners" 

Theeraphob wife tried to get him to calm down by whispering in his ear.

"And I am guessing that you are going to use the same argument Vegas?", Makok asked  "Are you also claiming no legal agreement exists between our families?" 

"Bring me the documents showing such an deal was made" Vegas cooly kept dinging his tea

Makok face flushed, "You know we where in talks about a marriage between my daughter, Plu and your son Phayu" 

"Yes, we talked nothing more" Pete was sitting beside him.

Gun stepped forward, "So your marrying your sons to men to get access to the ports" he addressed this question to Boon.

All hell broke lose again as the insult was given and understood by all.  

"Silence!" screamed Kinn and the whole hall fell silent, "I have giving you all the opportunities to spill your discontent, but beware do not over step your mark"

He walked towards the uninvited guests, "How we conduct our business is our own, if you dare interfere or keep screaming as if you have some sort of say in our business - I will not be held accountable for what would happen afterwards" 

He turned and sat back down, "I trust that you can see yourself out, we would like to continue our celebrations" 

They slowly left the hall, Rain had never felt such hatred thrown at him all at one.  The men looked ready to kill him.  Suddenly he felt Phayu pull him so he stood behind him, and he glared back at those people.   Without thinking Rain gripped the back of Phayu's robes.  He realised that Phayu used himself as a barrier between Rain and those horrible people.  Maybe Phayu was not all bad, Rain thought.

Present 

"Look at the drama that these two engagements caused" Rain said as he read out some documents, "This was all recorded on the same day"

"I think these two are linked" Sky said as he reread though his notes. "What do you think?"

Sky gave his notes to Pai to look though, "Humm its looking good"

Phayu had been listening to everything and had came with an idea, "Your next school brake, lets go to that area, have a look around and see if anything is familiar?" 

They all like the idea and started to look into places to stay.

Phayu invited them all to stay and have dinner and they agreed but ended up staying later than they intended.  

Phayu smiled, it looked like Rain was staying the night.