|10| Happy Fucking Birthday

┌──── •✧• ────┐"Nothing is gonna go wrong

┌──── •✧• ────┐
"Nothing is gonna go wrong."
└──── •✧• ────┘

"It's almost your birthday," Henry reminded Valentina as they lounged in her bedroom. The sun streamed in through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room.

Valentina glanced at him, raising an eyebrow. "So?"

Henry smiled mischievously. "The big fifteen? Aren't you supposed to have a big party? A quesadilla?"

Rolling her eyes, Valentina corrected him. "A quinceañera. And no, I'm not having one."

Henry sighed dramatically, standing up from his place on the floor and plopping himself down on the bed next to his best friend. "We have to do something for your birthday. It's supposed to be special."

Valentina's expression softened. "It just marks another year that my mom isn't here," she argued, her voice filled with a tinge of sadness. "Celebrating doesn't feel right."

Henry's heart ached for his friend, knowing how much she missed her mother. He scooted closer to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders in a comforting gesture."Your mom would want you to be happy on your birthday. It's been four years."

Valentina let out a heavy sigh, as she laid her back against the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. "Besides, quinceañeras involve the dad of the birthday girl too," she muttered, her voice barely above a whisper.

Henry's brows furrowed in concern, his grip on Valentina tightening ever so slightly. "You don't have to go through this alone. We're here for you."

Valentina's frustration grew, a mix of emotions swirling within her. "Let it go!" she snapped, her voice betraying the hurt she felt deep down.

"But V-"

"I said let it go"

Henry closed his mouth, realizing he had pushed too hard. He didn't want to upset Valentina any further. He raised his hands in surrender. "Fine, no party," he conceded.

There would definitely be a party

Robert Martinez was tired mentally, emotionally, and physically. It's what he deserved for throwing himself into his work, desperately trying to avoid the grief and guilt he felt trying to claw their way into his brain.

Days turned into nights, and nights turned into blurred memories as Robert immersed himself in the relentless pursuit of success. The weight of his deceased wife's absence and the guilt of neglecting his daughter haunted him, but he believed that if he could bury himself in work, the pain would somehow dissipate.