Chapter 40

"There's something undeniably sacred about holding someone who's been wounded before. Because they'll do their best to not bleed on you, and a part of you knows they don't even need to be held. In fact, it's almost as if you need it more than they do."
- Connotativewords

**

What now?" I ask Luke. We're sat in his rental car that is parked in front of my parent's house.

"I don't know. What do you want to do?" Luke asks silently, his hands squeezing mine.

I told Luke about Heath. Wow. I actually did it. He hasn't said much since we left the cemetery.

I take a deep breath and rub my eyes. What now?

"I have to go back tonight, the tour starts back up tomorrow." Luke lets me know. 

Right. The tour.

"I'm sorry you had to fly all this way while on tour." I turn my head to look at him. It's pitch black outside except for one street lamp illuminating the car enough for me to see him.

"I did it because I wanted to. And right now? I have zero regrets." We both laugh at his remark. I have a fluttering in my stomach, a kind I haven't felt in a very long time.

"I was going to go back to New York tomorrow," I tell him. He nods his head slowly but doesn't ask any further questions but a slow grin spreads across his face. "I met your mother."

I groan and shake my head. "She's—I don't even know."

"She's hot." Luke laughs louder when he sees my horrified expression.

"Shut up!" I scoff and he leans across the console, his lips brushing against mine ever so lightly. He pulls back quickly and stares at me. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have—"

"No. It's okay. It's okay." I reach out and run my fingers through his hair. His eyes fall closed and he leans into my hand.

"Come back with me. You belong with us." Luke hums.

"Everyone must be so tired of my back and forth. Hell, even I'm tired of it."

"They all want you back," he reassures me, squeezing my hand in between his again. He did that a lot like he wanted to make sure I was really there.

"Do you?" I whisper, watching the street lamps flicker. A part of me wants to go back but is that the right thing to do? Just because Luke is acting differently towards me?

"Would I be here if I didn't?" I hear the relief in his voice and my heart lifts out of my chest.

"Okay." I nod, not letting myself overthink this. I should probably think it through like an actual human being. It's the rational thing to do. But Luke is looking at me, tracing my face with his beautiful eyes and all rational thought goes out the window.

"I'll come back with you."

New beginnings right? Even if they go downhill.

---

"Be safe alright? I don't want you to do this but you're an adult now and if this is what you want, it's what we want for you too." Dad whispers in my ear as we hug. We pull away and he kisses me on the forehead.

"Let's go." He moves towards the door of his study and when we walk past the kitchen my mother calls out to me.

Dad stops and turns around too. "I want to talk to Sierra," Mother says. "Alone." She looks pointedly at Dad and he chuckles, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Don't scare Luke away," I tell his receding back and he bellows with laughter

"Your brother is taking care of it." I hear him say.