Chapter 56

Luke's Point of View

Sierra takes my hand and we walk down a granite slope, slipping on the snow. My heart pounds in my ears and I can't help but start to wonder why I confessed all of the things that I just did.

I wanted to wait till I was sure. What if it was just a feeling? I should have waited till I knew she was really here. But I couldn't lie to myself anymore either, I know that she is here.

Sierra steers us left and behind a brick building and walks into a clearing of trees covered in snow.

"Do you see those rocks behind the trees?" She asks me, her cheeks and nose red with the cold.

I nod. "Yeah." I stuff my hands into the pockets of my jacket in the hopes that they don't freeze and fall off. I forgot my gloves in the car.

"We're climbing on top." She waves and starts walking towards them through the trees. I follow reluctantly, ducking tree branches and kicking dented soda cans and trash away as I go.

"Be careful," I warn her and walk close behind just in case she decides to slip and break something.

I love you.

Why did I say those things to her? It was too soon. Too soon. She must be scared now. She's probably taking me somewhere so she can break up with me kindly. Sierra is sweet like that. I don't think I could handle my heart being broken when it's still not repaired.

We clear the trees and she stops in her tracks, looking around momentarily. "Come on." She says over her shoulder and starts to clamber up the nearest rock on her hands and feet. She climbs to the very top and stands, looking down at me. "Come on up. You'll love this." She grins down widely at me.

I step on a sharp part that is jutting out of the boulder at the bottom and lift myself up, making my way up slowly. The rock is wet with melted snow under my palms. I concentrate on the ice coldness spreading through my fingertips and into my body.

I make it to the top to see her jumping onto the next one and then the next. I follow slowly, looking down to see more rocks. Great.

Sierra climbs up one more and jumps onto a larger one and teeters on her feet. "For fucks sake are you planning to die?!" I shout and make it to her side as quickly as I can, slipping on the edge a little as well.

"I have been up here more times than I can count. Don't worry." An unwavering smile is plastered on her beautiful face. The wind whips our hair around and she takes a hold of my hand. "You know what I'm thinking of right now?" She asks.

"What?" I tug my beanie down to cover my ears from the biting cold wind.

"The day we hiked up that hill to your favourite spot in Australia and we sat there for hours and watched the sun go down," Sierra smiles.

"That was a wonderful day." I hum, remembering the warmth on my skin and the touch of her hands in my hair.

"Open your eyes." Sierra murmurs and I drag myself painfully out of that memory.

When I open them she points out in front of her "Look."

I turn my head slowly away from her face and look. I notice the white fog first, the fog covering the tops of hundreds of buildings and skyscrapers with lights blinking to indicate their very top. I draw a breath in when the sun peeks through the thick winter clouds for a second and shines on the city for a moment.

"Wow." I breathe out.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" She nudges me and I pull her close to my side.