Chapter 49

Luke's Point of View

"I swept her right off her feet!" Fred exclaims, grinning at his wife who is sitting to his right.

It is the night before Christmas Eve and we are all having dinner at the massive dining table in the Rayner's house while Fred tells us about his early days and how he met his wife. I scroll through a tag on Twitter that was made for the sole purpose of hating on us for cancelling a show we had no control over.

"Sure did honey," Sally says lovingly, patting his hand.

A chorus of awed sighs pass around the table and my eyes drift to the brown haired girl sitting in front of me across the table, smiling at the old couple with so much wonder in her lovely green eyes. The string of lights on the Christmas tree behind me casts different colours of light onto Sierra's skin.

I should take her on a first date soon, sweep her off her feet.

Her nose is a little red with the cold she had gotten the other night, making her sneeze non-stop and walk around with an entire box of tissues adorably clutched under her arm at all times.

I find myself staring at her more and more these days, observing everything she does. Sierra fascinates me, even more than she has before. I've noticed the way she walks like her feet are skates and she is gliding a couple of inches above the ground. Flawless and steady on her own two feet but afraid to touch the ground.

There is beauty in fear too.

Her smiles and her skin are warmer now too even though it is freezing cold around her. She used to be cold, I remember the first time I saw her at the party we crashed at her house, and she looked happy but was cold to the touch. I watched as she danced with Michael that day, her heart starting to soar high above everyone's heads with joy at the music and new opportunities she had gotten but it never moved an inch above that.

I remember being angry at how I wanted to warm her freezing skin and let her heart soar as far as it wanted too but I was rooted to that couch with another woman wrapped around me because I didn't have it in me to give anyone that kind of happiness when I didn't have it for myself.

The white of the Christmas lights catch the little glass bottles around her neck which she never takes off. I have seen her clutch onto them mindlessly at times when she is lost in thought.

A groan forms deep in my throat without my express permission and she looks up at the sound, a perfect eyebrow raising, asking me without really asking what I'm up to. We have a way of silently communicating, neither of us needing to verbally voice things.

I shake my head like a child and she grins, biting down on her lip. I've kissed those lips so many times in the last couple of days and it never seems to be enough, she leaves me with more craving for her than I have when we start, just like that first time at that recording studio back in New York.

The overwhelming feelings I have for her scares me so much sometimes but I love it. I love being scared, it's who I am now. The fear of losing things, the fear of not being enough, and the fear of not being strong enough to hold on to the deadly carousel that spins at a speed I can't even fathom.

However, Sierra slows it all down for me, her slightest touch and her passionate kisses. Her lips on mine scare away the other things that keep me up at night.

Do I affect her the way she does me? Am I enough to scare away the things that scare her at night?

"Luke? Are you okay?" I see her lips moving and it pulls me out of my sudden worrying thoughts.