Chapter 42

"She sees the world through innocent eyes, filters that others sacrificed to give her."
- m.b.

**

One Year Ago

Luke's Point Of View

"—and what comes from that, Luke?" Mackenzie asks me, her voice filled with annoyance.

"I don't know...redemption?" I shrug at her. We've been at this for an hour and all she has managed to do successfully is piss me off even more.

"What kind of redemption?"

"There are types? Redemption is redemption, Mackenzie. I have a meeting with the label can I go now?" Her eyes bore into me. "I'm sure they can spare you ten minutes." Mackenzie was a laid back person but during her "therapy" sessions, she was never quite able to pull out the stick that was lodged up her ass.

I rub my face with my hands and blow out air through my mouth.

Patience give me patience.

"A lawsuit isn't going to get you redemption, Luke. It's only going to get you media and questions and pissed off fangirls." Mackenzie says, not so quietly.

"Do you need a microphone? Can you be any fucking louder than that?" I snap at her. There were people next door and even the walls had ears these days.

She moves closer to me on the couch and puts a hand on my knee. "They are bound to find out sooner or later. You can't keep all of it to yourself. These people around you? They are your family. You can trust them."

"I don't trust anyone. You know that very well. I can't believe your pathetic ass found out either." I'm going to have to take an oath from my lawyer, to keep his bloody mouth shut at all times unless I say otherwise.

"I have my ways, Luke. But when they find out, and they will. It will get ugly very, very fast."

I couldn't care less. No one can fix this. No one.

I squeeze my eyes shut and open them again, turning to look at her. "I want redemption for me. If I don't do this, I won't have peace with myself or anything else, ever."

"There are other ways Luke. You know that this is a bit too extreme." She reasons.

"There is no other way! I can't think of any other way except otherwise murdering someone!" I shout at her.

"This is not you talking. You will regret this Luke. Drop the lawsuit. It won't take your pain away."

"Yeah well, a loss is a loss, Mackenzie. It can't be watered down or the pain lessened so I have nothing to regret and nothing to lose."

Her strict facade cracks and her eyes soften. "I might be your therapist but we both know you boys are like my little brothers. I hate to see you this way. I know what it must feel like but this is not the way to go."

"It is the way to go. People like her, I have seen people like her since our band became a thing and I have let them run over me and order me around and take things away from me."

"This won't fix it! This is a personal matter. It will only cause mayhem." She silences her phone when it starts to ring loudly.

"Bullshit." I stand up from the couch, dragging my nails through my hair.

"No it's not—" she grumbles but I cut her off.

"Enough. This is enough." I start towards the door and pull it open. I need to feel some kind of physical pain right now.