Chapter 52

Luke gets out of the shower and I quickly stuff the letter back into my bag and wipe under my eyes with my sleeve. He walks out with a white towel wrapped around his waist and stops short when he sees me standing in the middle of the room, most probably looking lost so I smile at him.

"I'll—um—I'm gonna take a shower too," I mumble and start walking towards the bathroom so he can get dressed.

Luke reaches out when I pass him and takes a hold of my wrist. "Sierra."

I perk my head up as he steps closer to me. There are droplets of water dripping down onto his shoulders from his hair and I fight the urge to grab the towel from around his waist and dry it for him.

"I'm okay." He says in a reassuring voice but it's like he is trying to convince himself more than me. I want to tell him that I don't believe that he is okay.

Instead, I say "Yes. You are." He nods a little and let's go of my hand. I walk into the bathroom with my arms wrapped around my body and shut the door behind me, leaning against it I take deep breaths. The room is still filled with steam so I turn on the shower and let it run while I sit on the edge of the bathtub and cry into my hands. Heath's words and Luke's heartbreak consuming my mind.

We finally get dressed as the light outside starts to get brighter and Luke wraps a soft lime green scarf around my neck. "Early present." He mumbles into my ear and lifts my hair out from under the scarf.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." I say, kissing him on the cheek.

As we pass through the corridor Luke bangs on the doors to wake everyone up. "Wake up!" He shouts but everyone is already in the kitchen and awake.

"You guys disappeared last night." Michael wiggles his eyebrows, his arms around Georgia while she stands at the kitchen counter with a steaming mug of coffee in her hands.

"That smells good," I say and she pours me a cup too.

"Thank you," I take it from her gratefully, the warmth already spreading through my body.

"Where is Calum?" Luke asks the room.

"Morning." A sleepy Calum says coming from the general direction of the room he sleeps in, Montana follows him out and they join us in the kitchen. She comes to stand next to me and lays her head on my shoulder. "It's cold." She hums under her breath with a yawn.

"Yeah." I murmur, offering her my coffee cup. There is a comfortable silence in the house, everyone either too sleepy or lazy to say much.

The front door of the cottage opens and Dave comes in. "Oh good. You're all awake. Let's go, Fred has something to show you." He waves at us to join him.

"Uh oh." Georgia huffs, giving us a look as we all shuffle to pile on layers of coats and beanies.

"You look like a penguin." Luke laughs as I wad around the room in my sweater and two coats trying to track down my boots among the others.

"Is that why you're into me? I remind you of your true species?" I laugh and he pecks me on the forehead, handing me my burgundy boots.

I manage to slip them on without falling over and we step out into the snow. We take a pathway to the right that goes around the house and to the front.