BC12: Rendezvous (Obsidian & Co)--2

"There," Mercury finally spotted the ship.

Royal had...somehow landed it next to the river without hitting something.

"Okay...how...?" Emerald said.

"Didn't I tell what my semblance was?" Royal was holding his helmet and wiping his forehead...it was pretty warm in Western Mistral this early in fall--at least to an Atlesian. "Precision. I can pretty much tell what measures anything has at a brief glance. Comes in handy landing in weird places."

"That would explain quite a few of the crazy moves you've done, I can't believe this is the first time you've brought it up," Emerald said.

"I imagine you were more impressed when you thought I was just that good of a pilot," Royal said. "Anyway, take a looksee at this scanner."

He pointed to the plane dashboard.

Mercury ducked in. "That's a lot of grimm signature considering we can't see a d--- thing."

"Trees were in the way for the air, I was hoping Claw would know," Royal said.

Claw made a clicking sound then listened.

"I've got nothing," she said. "Too many things in the way...or they're underground.

"They do like underground. There has to be somewhere they could be hiding," Emerald mused. "C--uh...Scarlet?"

Cinder rolled her eyes at Emerald fumbling her alias.

"Like I said, I don't know that much beyond this part of the town.. You should ask someone who does. I only came through here once."

"Who's this?" Royal asked Emerald and Mercury. "One of the huntsmen?"

"No, no...she's...uh...she's been part of the case, I mean, some of her acquaintances were affected," Emerald fumbled. She was a terrible liar. "The point is, she's helping all right, so just chill."

"It was just a question," Royal said. "No need to get so worked up."

"I wasn't--" Emerald paused.

Mercury's eyes widened.

"That could just have been me getting annoyed," Emerald said.

"And it could have been something else," Mercury said.

"Ugh, I never wanted to do this s--- again," Emerald sighed. "I hate these things."

"I'm confused," Piper said.

"Odd behavior, you nimrod," Claw said.

"Hey, don't start throwing insults around, I've never learned this this before," Piper said angrily.

"Great, all of you already," Cinder threw her hands up.

"I feel find," Royal said. "What's going on? Something spooky?"

"Zapato, have you read the articles Pine published about mind grimm?" Emerald tried to focus.

"Yeah, I looked at 'em, pretty weird stuff," Royal shrugged. "People acting off and illusions. Isn't that your semblance?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm mostly immune to the illusion part, but the emotional part can still get me, and Mercury has high resistance, but not invulnerability," Emerald explained. "And you and Claw and Piper probably don't have any at all. We might have to take this alone. The rest of you should go wait in the town."

"Captain, respectfully, that sounds really irresponsible," Royal said. "I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but two of you? That's a lot of grimm. Even with Fleet footed Mercury's special powers, they could get the drop on you. And where there's one kind of grimm, there's other kinds usually."