221: Justify

When Shine and Wally both shattered their respective prisons, the others suddenly saw them appear in the field in a flash of light and glory.

Though it was not coming from them, but it certainly was around them.

Then it was gone.

Then the field itself was suddenly gone, and everyone was standing in the Grimm lands where'd they'd been, and the moon looked the same as before, and the smell was the same, and it appeared that no time has passed.

The team gathered around the DJs to express their relief that they were okay.

Even Salem was relieved, though perhaps for her own selfish reasons.

But after their first gladness, the team at once turned somber and told them about Oscar's silence.

Shine put a hand on Ozpin and announced that Oscar was still there, but he was faint and it seemed he was asleep, or nearly.

"You can help him, right?" Weiss said.

"The gods still need to renounce their claim on this world," Shine said. "We broke their game. And you all did wonderfully... I saw what happened to you. I couldn't do anything to help--I tried."

"I did too," Wally said. "They had us radio silent, but I was rooting for you the whole time."

Emerald sniffled. "Well... we knew you'd have helped if you could have. It was their fault."

"They're just like you said," Yang said. "I think they're worse, actually. Can we just get rid of them already?"

"Easy there, Firecracker," Qrow said. "Where are they now?"

"They're still here," Shine said. "I can feel it."

She looked around. "Come out, Brothers Grimm, or whatever you are. I know you're here."

"Quit hiding, we're not done yet." Wally cupped his hands over his mouth.

The kids and adults chimed in with demand for the gods to show themselves.

Finally, the god of darkness arose out of his own Grimm pond--as some of them had seen him do in the vision, and then the other came out of the sky like lightning, but weaker.

They regarded the humans with something like anger--and also contempt.

"You tested us." Shine held out her sword. "Our turn now. We will pass judgement."

"One moment," the god of light said. "There is one of you who did not pass any test."

He pointed at Salem.

They all looked at her.

She looked--even in her Grimm form--frightened and small.

"Why does she need to? I think we all know where she stands," Wally said.

"I believe you said it yourself, Worldling." The god of light glanced at Shine. "Curses have rules. If you want ours to be removed, then she must fulfill it, as must Ozma. Only then will we release them."

Salem threw her hands up. "I knew you would never relent!"

"Wait a moment, Salem," Shine said. "We prepared for this, remember?"

Salem looked at her strangely. "Do you really think that will work?"

"I'll help you," Shine said. "And, Wally, if you would help Ozma."

"Me?" Wally said.

"There are two of us," Shine said. "This must be why. They can't get free on their own, but we cannot do it for them without their help. We must stand in the gap with them. That is our job. And it is allowed--" She glanced up at the gods. "--for those who wish to share in the punishment of others, and in their mercy, by the sacred laws of the universe, if it is done willingly."