BC60: Capital Loss (Raven's team & Co.)--4

[I know what you're thinking--how long can a bonus story last? Well, it wasn't supposed to be this long, but I had more story to tell than I realized. However, it is going to end soon. Have a couple arcs and people to wrap up, but it won't be as long as the main story, no worries--or worries, if you're enjoying this one more. I do think it's more fun, but I like both.]

Cinder stopped but glared.

"Maybe you misunderstood what I meant." Royal was more diplomatic now. "I just mean...it put me in a difficult position, okay?"

"What does that mean? Other than I shouldn't have been on that mission."

"Both you and Neo did that, all right? And so did Robyn, to be fair. All you had these underlying issues with each other. And you do understand I can't exactly show favoritism--if someone doesn't stay objective, the whole thing would fall apart. So listen, it's your right to say what you want to people, and if you want to piss them off, fine. I'm not your boss.... But, on the other hand, she was getting really worked up. What if it came to blows? It's like you don't even think about the danger you put yourself in by provoking everyone all the time. I appreciate not caring what they think, but sometimes you have to care what people think."

Cinder pursed her lips, not willing to give him that--though it was objectively true.

"And no one enjoys a few digs at Atlas' hypocrisy more than I do," Royal said. "Yeah, you were right about some of what you said...but you take it too far, okay? You could just make your point and then leave it alone, but you keep pushing until someone wants to take a swing at you, and that's just not...it's not smart."

Smart...

Getting Watts flashbacks here...

No, it was a little different: Royal wasn't trying to sound superior.

"Frankly, I can't say much because you always hate it when anyone points this out," Royal said. "I've learned a couple things over the last year. So what was I supposed to do? Getting her to back off was the only thing I could do. This might shock you, Cinder, but I don't really want to see people fight each other who I'm working with, and I don't like to see them attacking you either. I guess that isn't comforting for some reason. If you want to pick fights like that, I wish you'd do it when I'm not around."

"Why? Why would that bother you?" Cinder said.

"Because I've seen people try to kill you more than once," Royal nearly exploded, but it was from fear this time. "My gosh, woman, you have a target painted on your back. That doesn't sound concerning to you? We have to be on guard all the time for that. If you just wouldn't make it all that much harder on the few people on your side, it would be great."

"I can't help it." Cinder was starting to sound like a child, and she knew it, but she wasn't sure how to respond to this anyway. "Besides, I knew what she thought. I just had to push her to admit it. She might pretend to be nice, but she doesn't really think that. It's not like the others who really don't see me in the same light. She's a liar."

"Maybe she is. Maybe she was a hypocrite...but does calling it out change it?" Royal shrugged. "Sometimes you have to take what help you can get. I still don't like it necessarily, but it's how it is.... And maybe she didn't want to take your help either, but she was going to do it. I know people aren't fair to you--I've seen it...but maybe you aren't always fair to them either?"

Cinder didn't have words now.

She realized her hands were shaking.

Partially because she knew this was all true. Not like he was the first to point it out either. Even the Belladonnas had said it.