BC125: Turn (Heroes)--4

["Be My Escape"-- Reliant K]

The day of the Christmas party arrived, and, appropriately, it snowed.

Thankfully, Weiss and Meridian flew in before then...and they brought Hamish with them.

"The poor fellow just seemed too lonesome," Meridian said to the others. "We took pity on him."

"You're not fooling me." Cinder pointed at him accusingly. "I already know your partner has a crush on Esmeralda. He begged you to let him come as a favor, didn't he?"

"I can't believe you'd accuse me of that," Meridian said in a voice that said she was right.

"For the record," Weiss said, "he didn't beg us. We offered... The other part, I can't really confirm or deny it, not my place."

"I know you're going to get involved," Cinder said. "When will you stop trying to do that?"

"Oh, we helped you along, didn't we?" Weiss shot back. "Anyway, it's harmless. Besides, he really was lonely. I've felt guilty that we leave him alone just because he's not one of the main team. He is Meridian's oldest friend."

"And he's saved my life loads of times," Meridian said. "Just because I have new friends doesn't mean I forget the old ones, Cindy. You of all people should know that."

"Stop calling me Cindy," Cinder said.

"It's better than the things we used to call you," Meridian said.

"Leave Esmeralda alone," Cinder said. "She's barely getting used to people, let alone anything else."

"Listen, protective older sister," Meridian said, "what happens, happens. We're not going to push her or anything, but a little crush isn't anything to worry about. Shouldn't you focus on your own man?"

"How dare you--" Cinder began, incensed.

"What's going on?" Royal stepped over.

"Need to get your woman in line, man, that's what's going on," Meridian said.

"What did you just say?" Cinder bristled even more.

"Did you just call her my 'woman'?" Royal said. "And tell me to get her in line...? Have you lost your mind?"

"He's kidding," Weiss said. "Meridian!" She yanked on his arm. "Come on, don't poke the bear."

"I got a little carried away." Meridian smiled weakly. "Sorry, that was the Semblance talking."

"Excuses," Cinder said. "I should clock you."

"That's not very much in the spirit," Meridian said, not learning from his mistakes.

"Spirit? I'll show you spirit," Cinder said.

"Hey!" Weiss made glyphs to shove them apart. "Don't you dare start fighting. This is a party, and Pyrrha and Emerald worked hard on it. Apologize and let it go."

"All right, I'm sorry. I ran my mouth a little too much," Meridian said. "It was just a joke anyway. No one could keep you in line, Fall. Stop taking it so seriously."

"A very heartfelt apology," Royal said. "But I'll take it in the spirit of the day."

Cinder glared at Meridian. "Just don't let it happen again."

"I'll take that," Meridian said. "And now I'm hungry. Fighting always works up an appetite."

He walked away.

Weiss shrugged and followed him.

"That guy is supposed to be the life of the party," Royal said, "but it seems like he's the life of the bar fight to me."