BC22: Wise (Snow Arrow and Co.) --3

[Opener is Burning Cold, by Eurielle]

After a long time off alone in the woods on Patch, Qrow and Winter finally turned back to the house.

"I needed time to think after all that," Winter remarked. "But I suppose now it'll be time to leave, before it gets dark."

"Yeah...those were some big bombs to drop," Qrow admitted. "Our lives seem pretty tame compared to theirs, huh?"

He patted her shoulder. "I'm okay with that though. I've had enough excitement to last me a long time."

Winter smiled oddly to herself. "Yes, but I doubt we'll stay clear of it for very long. I never do seem to get away from it. And you certainly don't."

"Funny, I almost think I'd prefer to be boring now," Qrow said. "But I just can't help being naturally cool."

Winter rolled her eyes.

"Oh there you two are," Meridian walked toward the two of them. "You've been gone for hours. Not that I blame you, this here is lovely weather to be off alone."

Winter frowned at him. "What do you want, Wallace?"

"I was hoping you'd be a bit less formal," Meridian said. "I was talking to you family in there a bit ago and they all were very amiable, but they all said what I already knew, I should be talking to you... but then I didn't like to look for you at the moment, given the circumstances--"

"So what was it?" Qrow asked before Winter could explode.

"Oh I've been planning on this for a while," Meridian said, casting a look back as if to make sure no one had followed him. "But I thought why not wait till after graduation? Just to clear our schedules up?"

"Oh I know what this is about," Qrow said.

"You do?" Winter said.

"I mean if I was him there'd be only one direction this was going from her if I went to this much effort," Qrow said.

"I knew you'd understand, Qrow," Meridian said. "And as you're part of this too, I'm glad you're here."

"What is it?" Winter was puzzled now.

"To put it in few words, I want to ask Weiss to marry me," Meridian was not bashful about this at all. "And I wanted to ask your blessing."

This should not have stunned Winter as much as it did, but she was speechless.

"That's nice of you," Qrow said. "Not many young men would do that now--I cannot believe I just used those words...ugh, Oz must have rubbed off on me."

"I wouldn't normally," Meridian said. "But Winter has never liked me," he was rather blunt as usual. "And I thought it wouldn't sit well to just spring it on her either. After all, Weiss cares about her older sister's approval more than anyone else's and I want to acknowledge that. She'd not be happy if Winter wasn't in support."

Winter swallowed her shock.

"That is true," she said. "But before I approve anything, I want you to answer something."

"If it's if I've had my shots, Theo makes us get them to enroll," Meridian said.

"I didn't want to know that," Winter really hadn't. "But that's a relief. No. I want your assurance that if we consent, you will never do anything to disappoint Weiss."

"Do you mean really disappoint her or the fake disappointment thing she does?" Meridian asked amiably.

Winter frowned.

"This is why I can't please you, ma'am, no sense of humor," Meridian tugged his collar.

"This is not a joking matter," Winter was severe.