BC14: Rendezvous (Obsidian & Co)--4

The grimm had left the town of Eurus once the music came on and Ruby and Qrow had offed the rest of them, along with Claw and Piper.

After which, Raven portaled them back to avoid them finding out Cinder was there, true to her and Emerald's word.

Cinder didn't express any appreciation for this, but that was like her.

"Well, I guess we have to go," Emerald said. "Once Zapato finishes loading the plane..I admit, he was MVP today. Guy should really get promoted."

Cinder rolled her eyes. "It certainly wasn't Mercury. What is wrong with him?"

"I don't know what's up," Emerald said. "Lately he's just been...I don't know."

"I'm not one to give advice on this kind of thing, but if I were you I wouldn't be wasting my time on someone who's just holding me back," Cinder said.

"I know you wouldn't," Emerald said a little sharply. "But I don't just ditch people either."

Cinder frowned. "This isn't just about that. Whatever your goals are now, if he's not interested in  them, you're kidding yourself. You quit Salem because of the same reason, it's going to catch up with you. If he's not willing to do what we have to do, then he shouldn't be doing it at all."

"You...unfortunately have a point about that last part," Emerald said. "But I wasn't expecting you to be so proficient. What happened in the last 2 years?"

Cinder stared at the ground.

"I was alone, I had to learn how to do this kind of thing. It wasn't like I had any other advantages anymore. Likstar and West kept in touch, told me how stuff worked. I read the book...the grimm are changing now, as you can see."

"But why?" Emerald wondered.

"Better ask them." Cinder said. "I'm going to. I want to be prepared if that happens again."

"Well, again thanks, you didn't have to help as much as you did," Emerald said. "And I know you won't admit it was because you do care, a little, but I can see it. You've changed since then..."

"I wouldn't go that far," Cinder said.

"You're still you," Emerald shrugged. "But different. I really never thought the old you was as insufferable as everyone else did though. Misguided, kind of crazy, maybe, but you always had a flair for stuff. Maybe you can finally use that for helping instead of hurting people...And you know...you could visit Argus. It wouldn't be that weird. No one's really angry anymore."

"I really don't see the appeal of doing that," Cinder said. "Let's not act like we're friends now."

"Why not? Why can't we be friends?" Emerald asked. "I'm not asking you to be pen pals or whatever. But you know, if I was in the area and wanted to swing by and check in, what's wrong with that? You're the only one of the team who hasn't been in contact at least a little since Vacuo, it's weird. What about destiny? You want to go the rest of your life forgetting about all of us? About what happened? I know some of it sucked, but it's why we're here. The good and the bad."

"Huh..." Cinder looked odd.

"What?"

"You sound kind of like the pilot right there...do you discuss this crap all the time?"

"I don't know what you mean, Zapato is just kind of a weird guy," Emerald said. "Very open-minded for an Atlesian though. I mean, I'm glad, it's just weird. Why? Did he say something to you? Let me guess, something about how all of us ex-criminals are more cool because of our past and changing our trajectory and it's impressive."