BC34: Animal Instincts (Black Sun & Co.)

[Opener: "New Perspective"--Panic! at the Disco]

Weiss, Meridian, team CFVY, and Theo and Vara joined the huntsmen holding the Grimm off at the edge of the city.

A handful of happy Huntresses and their new recruits, who were still in Vacuo, were also helping.

Most of the Grimm were taken care of. The Scarabs were the hardest.

Even with Cinder's reluctant assistance using glass barriers, Blake and Sun had a time taking down the others in their vicinity. Finally they got them all, and by then they were nearly out of Aura.

At this point, Cinder began to scold them, in her highly condescending way, for not using their authority.

"How," she asked scathingly, "can you stop a storm but not think to try that on the Grimm?"

"I dunno, okay? I'm just used to killing them. I don't like to bust out that stuff unless I have to," Sun said. "For one thing, it weirds people out. They think we're magic."

Cidner looked red, and not just from the heat.

"So you should just risk your life because it doesn't look cool?" she spat.

"I'm not used to needing to call on help to finish off Grimm." Blake was panting. "And it's okay, right? You didn't."

"I can't just call attention to myself, idiot," Cinder said. "And I hardly had the chance to get close enough to try."

"Can't you just be happy we won?" Sun said.

"I'm never happy about anything, but I would be less annoyed if any of you acted like you didn't have your heads up your--" Cinder used some words that they didn't like.

"Even when you're helpful, you know, you're such a pain in the neck," Sun complained.

"Okay, maybe we should stop arguing," Blake said. "We just got rid of the Grimm. Let's not attract more. Is it just me, or were there way more of them for the time they had to get here than you'd think?"

True. At first they'd thought there were only a few dozen, but judging from how many huntsmen were out here, it must have been closer to a few scores. Enough of an anomaly to suggest they'd been even closer than the kingdom limits.

"People are looking this way--better hide your weapons," Blake told Cinder suddenly, looking past them.

Cinder disintegrated hers quickly.

"I need to fix my shoes," she said.

"Huh?" Sun said.

"One of them shattered while I was fighting," she said. "I need to make a new one."

"Why do you wear glass shoes?" Sun thought it was dumb. "Isn't that really uncomfortable?"

"Not with the right arch support," Cinder shot back. "It's easiest to make them myself. Shoes are expensive and they break easy in a fight."

"I did have to give up sandals after I snapped the straps too many times in fights," Blake said. "And they slip. So just wear boots."

"What's wrong with sneakers?" Sun said.

"The laces," Blake and Cinder both said.

"I don't see how glass is better," Sun argued.

"My glass is harder to break. It's like armor." Cinder had no idea why she was having such a stupid argument with them, other than both of them got on her nerves.

Well, really Blake didn't if she was her usual quiet, moody self, more like how Mercury used to be when he wasn't in a mood, but with Sun she was more annoyingly chatty.