129: Ever After (RoseGarden & Co.)

[I planned to end this book with Rosegarden, just didn't expect it to take so long, so here we are.]

"Look at that line," Ruby said to Oscar, as she put a stack of books on the table.

It was Oscar's first official book signing since his story World's End had just had its 2 year anniversary.

It had finally become available to the public (after a myriad of delays in preparation that were mostly due to Atlas no longer being up and printing shops being moved around so much and ink supplies being short), since the summer before the 6th Deliverance day, but it had had to be reprinted already, people had bought up the copies so fast.

Oscar had just released his second book, which was Grimm History, the non fictional telling of the same story but with more focus on the gods and how they'd come to power.

For his age, the professors at Beacon had said it was an impressive scholarly work. Even for any age.

Oscar was only glad he'd finally get a break from research, he hoped.

[I feel that at the end of every semester.] 

Ruby had been his cheerleader throughout this whole process, and now she was helping him sign autographs...and there were a lot of people here.

"Should have rented a bigger bookstore..." Ruby added.

Oscar laughed nervously. "I hope they don't all think I'm going to say something profound in every single message..."

"Oh, Oscar, you could say that in your sleep," Ruby said. "I've heard you."

Oscar turned red.

He and Ruby had been unofficially dating even before the book was out and finally owned up to it after that.

But they'd only been married for 2 months. Oscar still acted like a schoolboy about it.

Tai liked to say they were the kind of people who would always act like they'd just met a week ago, no matter how long they'd known each other, because of their joie de vive.

"Well," Oscar said weakly, "I think you might steal the show anyway. I mean, you're the most famous huntress in the world, and you're way cuter than I am, so...maybe I should be more worried about that."

"Psst, no one is going to listen to me talk about books," Ruby said. "Unless they want to listen to me geek out for an hour. You'll do fine. And, I brought cookies." She pulled out a tupperware. "In case you feel tired."

"Chocolate chip?" Oscar asked.

"And snickerdoodle, I put in your favorite too..." Ruby said.

"Thanks, that's really nice." Oscar managed a smile. "But, uh...do you think Dr. Oobleck is coming?"

"I don't know," Ruby said. "He could probably read the whole book in one hour if we let him talk, so... But, you know, he might be with Professor Peach."

"Oh, yeah... Huh, is that weird?" Oscar said.

"I don't understand--she was never around that much while I was at Beacon, but I guess she's Dr. Peach now. Maybe they met in those classes." Ruby shrugged. "Plus side, less time for him to give out tough homework to those poor, innocent new recruits."

"You can open the line anytime, Mr. Pine," the bookseller told him.

"Well, here goes." Oscar undid the chain that kept the line back.

* * *

"I think the book made me sound a little too immature, don't you?" Jaune said to his team over lunch.