BC87: Consumed (Menagerie)-6

[Opener: "Somewhere Only We Know"--Keene]

Emerald had woken up an hour or so into the fight night and wanted to go out and help, but the medic absolutely would not let her and threatened to sedate her if she tried to sneak out.

Emerald still would have gone out--but someone had taken her weapons.

Since her Aura was too low to use her Semblance, she was stuck.

She slept fitfully and had nightmares about the house burning and the kids.

She also kept coughing and was still sore.

Finally things quieted down after the storm had come and gone.

"This has been quite the worst night of my life," the poor medic mumbled.

But then they were told that it was all over, and they could just rest.

When it was morning a few hours later, the medic checked on her again.

"Well, it's hard to say for sure without more equipment, but I think you're okay," he said. "I've been helping some other people. You should probably just go to your room so we can use this space, though I think mostly we'll be working on land now. There's a lot of injured people. The Deimos..."

"Wait, what?" Emerald exclaimed. "Deimos? That was what attacked last night?"

No one had told them what it was, and she'd been unconscious the whole time the things were visible.

"Yes, I was told what they were a few hours ago," the medic said. "Since I was down here the whole time, I never saw them, but they were horrible."

"Is the island even still there?" Emerald stood up.

"Calm down, ma'am, it's there, mostly intact. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but you should be resting until we can give you a better bill of health. Please just go to your room, quietly," the medic begged.

Emerald didn't really have a room since she wasn't a passenger, but she went to the bathrooms that were by the sick bay and tried to clean some of the smoke and dust off herself, so at least it would look like she put in the effort.

But then she went back to sick bay.

"Hey, who brought me here last night?" she asked, hoping they had her weapons.

The medic hadn't told her this before.

"Hmm? Oh, that lovely Mrs. Arc," the medic said. "And your partner. They were both very worried but very kind about it--well, Mrs. Arc was."

"My partner?" Emerald said. "I don't really have one--do you mean Mercury?"

"Is that the grey-haired man? Because yes."

"Yeah...oh crap." Emerald put a hand to her head. "Tell me he didn't..."

"From what I heard later, he got you out of the house," the medic said. "You were crazy to stay in there, by the way...but I suppose the kids were in trouble. You heroes are kind of reckless."

"The kids? Wait, do you know if they're okay too?" Emerald hadn't thought he'd know, but maybe she was wrong.

"Sorry, I didn't get a head count. I assume they're fine." The medic shrugged. "I've really gotta go now."

"I guess they probably took my weapons then..." Emerald muttered.

"Well, I think you'll get the chance to ask about it," the medic said, looking at the doorway.

Emerald turned.

As if summoned, Mercury was there.

He was surprised to see Emerald standing up already.