Man

I had a busy schedule but I would drop in and check on Yaa periodically. I also started texting Gawin daily just to check in on him.

His messages were often short and sweet and didn't indicate anything that he was in distress until one day when I was at Yaa's for dinner.

"How are you my dear?"

'[ been doing good. Busy with my work. It's hectic this week. Do you know how's Gawin been? Texted him today but no replies so far."

"He's ok. Just not in a good mood today so you may not hear from him but he will be fine."

"Why Yaa? Is everything ok? Is he in pain or something?"

"It's not the body, dear. Its the heart. His parents have been giving him trouble again and forcing him to quit this industry."

I looked at her in shock. I didn't know what to say and seeing my face, she knew I had no inkling of what had been going on. She sighed softly as she filled me in.

"His parents do not like Gawin to be in this industry which is why he stays here despite being rich and having his parents just stay a little over 10 minutes away from him. He's been fighting them over this decision for a while now so staying with them whilst he recuperated was just a bad decision. But he had no choice. He told me you had offered your house and he was so grateful for it though he couldn't say yes. His parents have been on his case since he got home and want him to leave the industry. Poor boy called me earlier, crying about it as they have been stressing him out."

"Can't he just stick to his decision? Why can't they support him?"

"He is. But it's a lonely battle. They think the industry is flaky and does no good plus that Gawin will never be able to earn. Their idea of comfort comes from predictable professions such as being doctors, engineers and lawyers."

"He.. he has been at home listening to all of this today?'

"Since 2 weeks ago. Daily. It's a daily thing since he got home to recuperate."

"Is he even able to recuperate?"

Yaa smiled wanely at me.

"He will make it out of there alive. I just hope his confidence isn't crushed. I miss that poor boy already."

It was only week 3 and they have been on his case about it daily?! I sighed and looked at my phone. I saw that Gawin was online. I finally saw him typing a reply to my messages.

"Hello Phi, thank you for checking in. I'm doing good. Able to walk abit now. Just 4 more weeks and I should be out and about. Hope you been good too. Take care."

I showed Yaa the message. She patted my arm fondly. "That's him dear. He will never tell anyone on how he is doing truly. It took him forever to even open up to me."

I just looked at the message. At Yaa and back at the message again. My resolve hardened.

"He's coming here. I will look after him. He doesn't have to stay there and suffer with them even if they are his parents."

Yaa looked at me stunned. "Dear, what are you..."

"Would you rather he stay there and suffer or come back here? What kind of parents are they? I know they mean well but keep the comments for when he is better. Not now. He needs all the support and encouragement. Not this.." I was getting angry and slammed my hand on the table.