Man

There was absolute silence for a while. Gawin looked absolutely stricken and his dad, well he was in shock. Sadly to say, his mother still looked as defiant.

It was definitely not my battle ground but I hated seeing that Gawin was suffering so much. I clenched my fists and just stood quietly watching them.

"If you cannot even respect my choices, I don't think you need to be a part of my life. Its frustrating how you think as a parent, you always make the "right" decisions. What's "right" anymore? Going around ruining your child's career? Going behind my back to tell the one person that I loved to back off and stay away or else you will have him deported? Thanks to you, I never got to confess my love and he chose to ignore me forever. Telling my manager what to do and not to do? Telling Phi to get out of the house just because she chose a career you didn't like? What next? That's why I chose to leave before you did it. Now I'm telling you, I don't want you to be a part of my life. I don't want to see you. Do not come crossing in my life again. If you do, I will get myself legally emancipated and that's a step further than what Phi did. And you know I will."

Gawin just strode off after that. I was just stunned and looked at his parents. His dad nodded at me briefly and I acknowledged it before rushing off after him. I got to his house and his front door was open. I went in, finding Gawin on the couch, face in his hands. I closed and locked the door and went to him, kneeling down in front of him.

"Gawin..."

"I'm sorry for the outburst Phi. Its just..she has really ruined my life in so many ways. And I'm sorry for not telling you about the other guy previously.. we just.. nothing happened between us. I couldn't even tell him my feelings.. "

Gawin sobbed as he told me. I just held onto him.

"You don't have to say anything. I really don't care about your past. Or your future. What I care about is how you are now and your feelings now. And I want you to know I'm here for you in every little way."

Gawin looked up at me and I just wiped his tears away. I held onto him tightly as he clung onto me for support.

Something ran through my mind then.

It's ironic how we depend upon our parents for everything as a kid. And when we grow up, we continue hoping our parents will be there for us as we transit to being adults. It is scary enough that we have to make major changes and grapple with them but our parents suddenly turn around and behave as if our entire self worth and being is reflected in the way we hang onto to their every word and anything else is considered defiance, being unfilial and irresponsible.

Don't get me wrong, one should love and take care of their parents, as its a basic way of saying thank you for all of their efforts in us too. But when does one draw the line?

In Gawin's case, I think he has lost way too much to continue practising the filial piety. I hugged him tightly as he continued sobbing.

He eventually pulled away, his eyes red rimmed.

"You ok? Do you want a drink?"

"No Phi.. im tired. Can I go rest?"

I nodded. Gawin took a shower and changed whilst I used the guest bathroom. He slipped into bed before I was done and I came out to see him huddled on the bed, clutching at his comforter. I slipped into bed, encircling my arms around him and holding onto him gently.

He eventually turned around to look at me, his eyes clouded with tears. I smiled at him, kissing his forehead assuring him softly things will be ok. He nodded and laid his head on my chest. I held onto him the whole night as he fell into a restless sleep, soothing him by patting his head until I heard the rhythmic beating of his heart which lulled me into sleep.