Gawin

The days flew by past as I hung out with Yaa. I was low key looking forward to Saturday as it meant I could go to the beach plus it was nice to hang out with Man again.

On Friday evening, he called me.

"Hey, Ben isn't well. Food poisoning. Both him and his girlfriend. Its so bad!"

"Owh, I am sorry to hear that. Is Ben ok? What did he have? I guess beach day is cancelled. No problem..."

Damn! I was abit bummed out about that. However, I realized Man was talking and I focused back.

"He had some mussels on a date. Didn't agree with him. I was actually thinking, we could probably still go ahead to the beach by ourselves if you are keen? I mean, we can go again with them but since we made plans for tomorrow, we can go first? What do you think?"

I kept quiet for a bit, letting his words sink in.

"Sounds like a good idea Phi. Shall we?"

"Yea, let's. I pick you up around 8am ok? It's a bit of a drive so let's head out early."

I agreed and then we hung up. I sat there for a bit, the conversation floating through my head and I realized I was getting excited about beach day again. I smacked myself then went to pack for it.

The next morning, Man picked me up. I got into the car and looked at him. He was wearing a floral shirt that was unbuttoned with a white t shirt inside. He was also wearing chinos and sliders. His sunglasses were perched on his forehead and he turned to smile at me.

Gosh, when was his smile this blinding? I smiled back and instantly turned to the front. We chatted enroute to the beach. It was a 2 hour ride, but with music, chatting and pit stops for snacks, we conquered it quite easily.

Once we got to the beach, I got out and stretched. I pulled on a cap as it was quite hot and we went to look for a nice spot to set up our foldable chairs, a small foldable table that held a bucket of beers encased in ice and some snacks.

Once done, I wanted to just lounge for a while and Man stripped off to swim. I put on my glasses and laid back in the chair. I just chilled for a bit then sat up to get a beer and check Man out. I saw him swimming and he was about to come out when 2 girls approached him. I saw him standing awkwardly and chatting with them. I just sat up straighter and watched them.

They kept turning to point at me and smiled and turned back to him. He just smiled and bowed and finally they went off. He came back and sat down.

"Fans huh?"

"Not mine."

"Then?"

"Yours. They wanted to talk to you but I told them you were unwell so perhaps another day."

"Owh. Is that why they kept turning to look here?"

Man turned to look at me, not saying anything and just nodding his head silently.

"Well, thank you for rescuing me. I'm glad they didn't come over. I just wanted a day to ourselves."

Man looked at me again but this time, his facial expression was considerably chirpier. I smiled back without a 2nd thought. We hung back, drinking beers for a bit before Man wanted to swim again.

"I know you can't swim because of the ankle. But do you want to come stand in the waters? It's really soothing."

I nodded eagerly. I joined him and stood at the edge, feeling the waves wash over me whilst Man swam out a bit more. I watched as he bobbed in and out. But the waves seemed to be getting stronger.

"Phi! Come back. The waves look abit too strong. PHI!" I cupped my hands around my mouth and screamed but Man barely heard me. I tried it again but just then a huge wave came up and pushed him further away!

My eyes opened big! Fuck. I just jumped right and swam up to him speedily. He seemed to be losing control so I grabbed him and pulled him back. Once we got to shore, we both collapsed on the beach. I turned to look at him.

"Seriously Phi, didn't you hear me screaming?!"

"I'm sorry. I really didn't hear..."

"You almost got washed up by the waves. The fuck. Seriously."

Man turned to look at me. He looked at me for a long bit before muttering, "I'm sorry Gawin."

I looked at him, breathing hard. I sat up slowly, just breathing in and out of my mouth. I stood up, wanting to walk back to our chairs when he stood up too and grabbed my hand. He turned me towards him and that's when our height difference hit me hard. I was merely looking at his chin. Jesus! I looked up at him. He was still holding onto my hand.

He looked at me and came closer. A bit too close until it hit me we were in public. I gently stepped back, muttering "We are in public Phi."

Man blinked his eyes, realizing his folly and stepped back, apologising whilst letting go of my hand. He then walked back to our chairs first, whilst it hit me how incredibly alone I suddenly felt.

I turned to look at Man who was sitting on the chair, hunched forward, holding a beer and looking at the ground.

He looked incredibly alone too.