Boiling Blood

Jade sat scrolling through her phone until she heard a voice down the hall she wasn't familiar with. It broke the silence; Jade leaned forward and looked at Astarte, who rolled her eyes before pushing Jade back against the couch.

Damn okay...

Jade watched as a tall, dark brown-haired, somewhat built gentleman stood in the corridor next to Jaycee.

"Hey, Astarte," he said before Astarte looked up from her phone and gave a fake smile.

"Damn, No Hi back?" He made himself comfortable next to Jade.

"I heard you are new," the man said before watching Astarte grab Jade by her waist and pull her closer to her.

"Damn, I never knew you got bitches like that," He said, Jade showing pure confusion on her face.

Jaycee stood before walking off. Astarte wasn't happy. "Hey, Jaycee! Get your ass back in here." Astarte yelled before watching her peak around the corner.

Astarte said, "Come get this thing away from me," as she watched Jaycee roll her eyes. Jaycee then grabbed the man by his arm, pulled him off the couch, and dragged him out of the room. Jade couldn't hear what they were saying because she was more concerned about why Astarte had grabbed her.

"Hey, Astarte," Jade began, but she was surprised when Astarte gave her full attention.

"Yes?"

Jade asked, "Do you not like him?" as she watched Astarte laugh.

"Fuck no. That is Jaycee's boyfriend." Astarte closed the screen on her phone.

Jade sat confused, and Astarte could tell but didn't act upon it.

Jade started to speak, "Why did you grab me-" before Astarte interrupted her with a smile and looked at her phone. Astarte dropped the smile and said, "To protect you. He isn't the brightest." Just then, Astarte's phone rang and she smiled again before answering the call and leaving the room. On the phone, she said, "Hey baby. Yeah, just tell them I told you to return here." The person on the other end seemed to be protesting, to which Astarte replied, "You got to be kidding me."

"I swear to god, she loves to jump on my nerves. I'll be right there."

Astarte peered into the room and saw her father nodding before making her way down the hallway. Jade sat quietly as she watched her father, who was on his phone. "You can go with her if you want. Either way, you are safe. I am her father, in case you couldn't tell. Call me Zach," he said. Jade nodded before leaning back into her seat.

Astarte walked down the hallway and turned the corner, where she saw the receptionist. "Where is he?" she asked.

"Who?" the receptionist replied.

"Are you kidding me? Did you hit your head?" Astarte responded.

I'll take that as a compliment. No," the receptionist said.

"I got you your favorite roses, babe," said Neorch as Astarte turned around quickly. He handed her the roses and was greeted with a hug.

"I knew they were your favorite," Neorch said before kissing Astarte on the forehead and brushing her hair out of her face.

"I also got food. It's already in the kitchen," he added.

"You planned this whole thing out?" Astarte asked in surprise.

"Yes, silly," Neorch replied with a smile.

"Oh, and we have a new girl. Her name is Jade," Astarte said, changing the subject.

"Very nice. How is she?" Neorch asked.

"Better than the rest. I held my gun to her chest, and she didn't flinch," Astarte replied.

"Wow. That's something," Neorch said, letting go of Astarte and walking with her toward the kitchen.

Jade watched as Astarte walked past with a man; she looked at Zach.

"That's her boyfriend, Neorch," Zach said, noticing Jade's curiosity.

"So she does have a boyfriend," Jade said.

"They have food. You can join them in the kitchen if you'd like, but only if you're hungry," Zach said, getting up from the couch. "Because I know I sure as hell am." He adjusted his suit for a moment before walking out into the hall.

Zach was standing in the hallway and shouting Jaycee's name. After hearing a distant response of "What?" he said, "Get your ass in the kitchen. Neorch brought food!"

"Okay!" Jaycee replied before running down the hallway.

"C'mon, Jade. You don't have to eat, but at least sit with us," Zach suggested.

"Okay," Jade agreed. She stood up and noticed Astarte's revolver on the ground, which she had forgotten.

"Could you grab that for me?" Zach asked.

"Is she going to kill me?" Jade inquired.

"Probably not," Zach replied as Jade picked up Astarte's revolver. She felt the engravings of skulls and her name on the revolver and said, "Wow..". Jade wasn't sure how she ended up standing in front of Astarte in the kitchen, but she said, "Oh..".

Jade pointed out, "You forgot your gun.." Astarte's eyes widened in surprise, causing her to spit out her drink and cough. Neorch, who was overseeing the scene, instructed Jade to slide the gun across the table to him. Astarte was about to say something but was interrupted by Zach, who reassured her that he had asked Jade to do it. Zach gestured for Jaycee and her boyfriend Nickolas to sit down. Astarte then invited Jade to sit next to her after pulling out a chair.

Uh oh.