Empty Threats - Memory

Astarte grabbed her car keys from the hook, unlocking one of her many fancy cars. She looked at her motorcycle and saw how wrecked it was. "God damn," she said before continuing to her car. After opening the door and sitting in the driver's seat, she slammed the door and sighed before staring at the car. "Where should I go?"

Neorch went to work that morning for some business thing. She wasn't entirely sure what to do since she was waiting on standby for a call. She started the car's engine and drove to the city before parking her car at a small bar. She stepped out of the car, locked it, and tucked her keys into her pocket. She looked up at the security guard, who did not attempt to stand in her way.

Loud music played before she realized the bar also had card games such as poker, Blackjack, etc. Astarte rolled her eyes at the bartender, who paused what he was doing before tugging on his partner's sleeve and pointing her way. In a corner on a couch, a gentleman sat surrounded by women who waved Astarte down. "Hey, I know you."

Astarte gave a fake smile before walking over to the man but keeping her distance. "Hm?" 

"I have a job. I need help. I know you are as intimidating as you look." 

"I'm already having to deal with teenagers not handing over money for drugs. How much more complicated can it get." Astarte commented, watching the man's eyes widen. "Drugs?" 

"Yes, cocaine? Weed?" 

"Alcohol?" He questioned

"I'm sure I can get some if that's what's needed for this 'job,' Astarte said, putting up air quotes.

"I'm just curious, how much of a range do you cover?" The man leaned forward to ask Astarte, who smiled and crouched beside him. "If you want someone gone, come to me," she replied, pointing to herself. As she tried to stand up, he pulled her arm down. "I have a girl with a gambling addiction who's racked up a huge amount of debt. I want her sorted, but alive. Can you help me?" 

"Where is she?" Astarte asked, looking behind her. 

"She's here every night. Meet me back here tonight," the man said, smiling and letting go of her arm. "Okay," Astarte replied. 

Without the man noticing, she took his phone and typed her number into it before handing it over. "Here, you have my number," she said. 

"What? That's not my phone?" the man said, patting himself down and realizing his phone was missing. "You're sneaky. I'll see you later tonight," he said, taking his phone back and smiling as he watched her walk away. 

One of the girls leaned over to him and whispered, "Who is she?" 

"She's one of the most dangerous female mafia members in the county," the man replied. "She's right under some dude named Gambit. I know she'll get shit done."

Astarte returned to the bar later that night. As she walked in, she heard loud music, but it felt silent to her. She made sure she had her badge with her, which had her name printed on the back of her vest. She searched all over the bar until she spotted a familiar face. She approached him, but before she could say anything, she noticed him pointing to a woman playing blackjack. Astarte smiled and walked over to the table. The dealer paused and watched as she sat down. He cleared his throat before Astarte shook her head and looked at the girl who began small talk with her. "Hey, I think I know you," the girl said. Astarte rolled her eyes before watching the dealer hand her some chips to play with.

"Everyone does," Astarte said before placing a gentle bet. 

Astarte watched the dealer lay out the cards, assuming the man told the dealer to give her a horrible hand. She was given 6. Astarte was given blackjack. Astarte never took her eyes off of the girl's cards. Astarte watched her get 16 before hitting again and going bust. "God damn it." 

"You must have horrible fucking luck," Astarte said, watching the girl look up before taking a drag from her cigarette. "Mind your business." The girl snapped before Astarte grabbed one of the cards left on the table and threw it at the woman, watching it barely miss her head. 

"I think I'm already past that point." Astarte got down from the seat, walked around the table, and placed her hand on her shoulder. "We can do this the easy way. Or the hard way." 

"What are you? IRS? Fuck off." The girl said, Astarte laughed. 

"I warned you. Enjoy this hospital bill." Astarte said before dragging her by her throat out of the chair, watching her slam onto the floor. Astarte grabbed her cigarette, put it in her hands, and tossed it on the floor. "Let's go," Astarte said, dragging the girl to her feet and pushing her out the back door.
Astarte stopped halfway in the door, looking back at the man. "How far in debt is she?"

"26k"

Jesus

Astarte went through the back door, watching the woman attempt to flee down the alleyway. Astarte pulled out her revolver, aiming for her legs. She fired the shot, watching her drop to the floor and roll. Astarte smiled, walking over to the girl and watching her roll on her back. "Please- I'll get the money."

"That's what you said for a while, I presume," Astarte said before crouching down, putting her hand over the bullet hole in her left calf. "You shouldn't have run," Astarte said, watching the woman cry. "Bitch." Astarte said, standing, analyzing the blood on her hands. "I'll call 911. You never saw me. You don't know me. You don't know shit. You hear me?"

"Yes, yes! Please just let me live," the girl pleaded.

"I suppose," Astarte replied, taking out her phone and dialing 911. After making the call, she hung up and turned to face the girl. "Good luck coming up with twenty-six thousand dollars," she said before opening the back door and finding the man blocking her way. "What do you want?" she asked.

"Did you kill her??" He said, attempting to push past her, but Astarte shoved him back. "She's alive. She got the message."

"Here, let me get this blood off of you." The man said, guiding her into a back room. Astarte pushed back a curtain. Three men sat, looking up at her. "Sit." 

"No, She isn't back here for that." The man said, grabbing Astarte's attention and guiding her further into the building. "Wash your hands." 

"Wouldn't a bathroom work too?"

"No, The cops will probably check that. We got to get you out of here." He said, watching Astarte wash her hands and handing her a towel. 

"Thanks, but I don't need you to hold my hand," Astarte said, throwing the towel into his hands and walking out of the side room, stopping as the initially sitting men were standing. "You want us to do something, boss?"

"No, she's clear." He said, gently pushing on Astarte's back before looking at her name on the back of her vest with a small text: "Golden Mafia Property." 

"She gave you an attitude." 

"Sit down, you guys. Please get out of her way. I'll explain later." He said, looking up from her vest and watching them stand out of her way. Astarte gave them a dirty look before opening the door and leaving. 

"What the hell, boss? You know we don't fuck with that." 

"She was about to kill you guys. You need to watch it with her. She's the most dangerous woman in America." 

"Astarte? That wasn't her." 

"Yes, it was." 

"Did you get her number?" One of the men questioned

"I might have."