28: Mystery

After bidding goodbye to Kagami, Adrien went into an alleyway. Once he had transformed into Chat Noir he continued his search for Misfortune but his efforts proved to be unsuccessful. His head hung low as he made his way back home. As much as he'd like to continue searching, he knew his father would be furious should he check up on him. Chat Noir almost laughed at the thought. His father checking up on him? Ha. That would be the day.

As Chat jumped through the window, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. The house was almost eerie to him. He de-transformed and then gave Plagg his cheese.
"Kid? Does anything seem off to you?"
"I was just thinking that Plagg. Stay here, I'll check it out."
Adrien walked towards his door and opened it.
"Natalie?" He called out. But only his echo replied.
"That's odd. I understand it's late but I'd think she'd respond." Adrien walked along the halls of his home and found no one. Not even his father who usually stayed up very late. As he left for the kitchen, he heard muffled cries.
Quickly, Adrien looked for the source. Inside one of the kitchens cleaning closet's, he was horrified to find three maids with their mouths gagged and tied with rope.
"Oh my gosh! Are you alright?" Adrien asked as he removed the gags.
"Run! It's your father! He's gone mad!" Once Adrien had removed the ropes, all three maids quickly hurried out of the kitchen closet and out of the horror house.
Adrien remained motionless as he processed what the three women had said. Once he'd recomposed himself, he hurried to look and make sure no other workers were bound and gagged. To his dismay, there were several. After ensuring that everyone was safe, Adrien began making his way up to his father's study. He was going to demand an explanation even if he had to disobey every rule of his fathers to get it. But, the office was empty. Suddenly, there was a sound. Almost as if a machine was moving. Quickly, Adrien hid behind a chair. Natalie and Gabriel walked out from a secret elevator. Neither one looked pleased. Adrien's eyes grew wide with terror when he noticed dark red liquid on both his father's and Natalie's hands. The secret door slammed shut behind them and was then hidden behind the portrait of his mother.
"I will need you to make some calls in order to safely remove that fake corpse. Meanwhile, I shall take a shower to rid myself of that girl's blood."
"Yes sir, I will get right on that."
Blood? Girl? Corpse? Just what had his father and Natalie gotten into? Adrien decided at that moment, confrontation wasn't a good option. The two adults exited the room a moment later. Once he was sure they were gone, Adrien ran towards where the secret door had once been.
"There's got to be a button or something." He looked and looked but couldn't find one. His eyes scanned over the room and noticed a button on his father's desk. Quickly, he ran over and pressed it. The painting of his mother moved away to reveal the elevator. He ran towards it and got inside.

As the elevator descended down, Adrien had time to collect his thoughts. What would he find down there? A moment later, the elevator dinged. When Adrien stepped out he was met with complete darkness. He held his arms out and slowly moved through the pitch black room. He began to hear a flutter of wings and wind howling. Not bothering anymore to be cautious, Adrien sprinted towards the sound. He was soon met by a bright light.
Once his eyes had adjusted it would be safe to assume he was in shock by what he saw.
The room was filled with butterflies and the only light source was a large broken window that looked like it once had a butterfly symbol. When Adrien looked to the floor, he nearly fainted. Blood. Blood splatters littered the floor. Slowly, Adrien moved closer to where the biggest blood splatter was. On the floor, symbols had been carved into it. Adrien heard rattling.
He followed the noise but the area where the noise was coming from was too dark to see anything. So he pulled out his phone and turned on the flashlight. His eyes almost popped out of his sockets. Chains and more blood. As he scanned the room, only one thought came to mind. What happened here?

...