Chapter 1: From the Ashes, from the Bottom of Society

Izuku was sitting in class, playing with his green hair. His hand was in a type of glove. It looked like the gloves digital artists wear to avoid triggering their tablets. To be fair, that is where he got the idea for the glove from. He didn't think it was looking cool, but a glove like that made from quirk resistant material would be handy. It would allow him to life a normal life.

Normal. You're normal if you have a Meta ability, commonly known as a quirk. Only the Quirkless are abnormal. But Izuku's quirk... it isn't like it is so weak that he could be quirkless. No, it is too strong, he can't control it. His Quirk causes problems... at least he isn't quirkless.

He played with his hair, thinking to himself, "I need to dye them soon again. The green pales out." He dyes his hair, side effect of the quirk he is cursed with. He was ripped from his thoughts when a classmate of his came into the room. Bakugou Katsuki, the top dog of the class. One of the class best students and an enigma to Izuku.

No, Bakugou himself isn't an enigma to Izuku. They used to be friends. Their parents, their mothers used to be friends. But that changed when he got his quirk. His curse. Midoriya Inko didn't want to be the mother of a child with a villain's quirk. She send him to an orphanage. Mind you, she didn't give him up for adoption, she didn't sign a release that he can be adopted.

A 'quirk' of the Japanese law is that such release is needed, it is separate from being given up. Most parents won't sign it to keep face in front of society. This results in too many children in overloaded orphanages. And no fostering. No one bothers to foster a child that can't be adopted. He is stuck in the system for a decade. But somehow, he never lost contact with Bakugou.

His friend won't be friendly to orphan trash. He won't be friendly to a villain. Again, his quirk that took his mother in a way took his friend as well. He is marked a villain because of it. Not even the quirkless student body won't want to deal with him. They say they suffer enough without him. Besides the odd snarl here and there, he isn't bullied. If anything, he is the bully. Well, he protects Bakugou's victims, he tries to. Mainly the other orphans attending Aldera Junior High. Bakugou himself, therefore, isn't an enigma. He knows the boy.

No, his quirk is the enigma. It is a Meta ability that is destructive in nature. While it isn't clear if Bakugou can control it or has just anger issues, Izuku can't control his. Izuku's quirk is nearly soundless, Bakugou's is noisy. As if dynamite explodes close by. It flashes brightly. The prime example for a 'flashy hero quirk'. Yet it is destructive like Izuku's very own 'dark villain quirk'. Why Bakugou is seen as a hero and he a villain, he doesn't get it. Maybe it is because he is a 'throw away child' or a 'villain'. Two ugly spots in one in the eyes of Japanese society.

Bakugou was late today. Not that the teacher cares. He only cares that Bakugou applied for one if not the best Hero school in Japan. Maybe even the world. No student of Aldera ever managed to come in... at least not into the hero course. There were and are a few, very few students Izuku knows that managed to get into the Management and General Studies course. And one who is in Support. Izuku knows that one personally. He only heard about the others from other orphans and the employees there. But it is true that none of Aldera alumni managed to get a spot in the Hero Course.

"Okay, now that Bakugou is there, we can discuss your choices for high school.", spoke their teacher. "But we all know you applied for hero schools!"

The class cheered, showcasing their quirks. All, but Izuku.

"Bakugou and Midoriya even applied for UA! Well, General Studies as well as Hero course in case of Midoriya.", spoke the teacher. "Why not Management or Support?"

"You seriously think you could top me?", yelled Bakugou, sparking explosions.

Izuku just sighed."Just because I applied, doesn't mean that I have a superiority complex like you. I applied for everything under the sun.", here plied. He then turned to their teacher, "I plan to apply for these, but the Support one requires a prototype machine."