Talks and Walks

The first two weeks of break was boring. All I did was listen to the radio, went outside, and wrote stories. I had that stupid cast on the whole time. Thank god it was the last week because I was getting that stupid thing off, and I really wanted to see Gordie and finish writing our stories together. I truly missed Gordie the most, he was just fun to be around. I also missed Chris, and Vern and Teddy. Vern was always in the shadows. Man, I loved Vern, Teddy did too. Teddy and Vern are goofballs basically. I wanted to go see them real bad. That's what I should do today, go see the boys. Except Gordie, because he said that we should just take a break and he was visiting his Aunt. I found it weird that we all lived in the same area. Vern was at the end of my street, Teddy was at the corner, Chris was on the back street, and Gordie was across from Teddy. That was my plan for the day. I tried to get down the stairs fast enough to go to the kitchen to get my mom. I turned the corner, and walked to the dining room. She was setting the table for lunch. My dad stood in front of the mirror on the wall fixing his tie. I could tell he was going on another business trip.

I said to my mom. "Mom, I was wondering if I could go see the boys for the rest of the day and hang out."

She responded, "Madeline, you are always bugging those boys, there's one week left of break you can survive without them. We were gonna get that cast off today."

My dad interrupted. "When am I going to meet these boys that your mother keeps telling me about?" My dad asked like he couldn't trust me or something stupid like that.

"I don't know, when you come back. As long as I could go hang out with them today and have a little bonfire with them to celebrate getting the cast off." I said.

"Okay, fine have it your way, but we need to meet them." My mom said.

"Okay mom, when am I getting my cast off?".

"Today, after lunch so hurry up and you can go see those boys." She said as she winked. All there was for lunch was egg salad. I actually did what my mom told me to do, for once. She drove me to the doctors and I finally got my dumb cast off. I was really excited because now I could run to Gordies house. My mom actually dropped me off over there. I walked up to the door. His house was big like mine. It was white. there was big flower vase by the door. I knocked on the door, and no one answered. So instead I went to Teddys he was always home.

"Yo, Teddy!" I yelled up to his bedroom window. "Lets get the gang and hit the road!"

"Why? Where are we going?"

"My, house! We're gonna go back into the field and have a bonfire!"

"Okay, hold on!" I waited a few minutes and Teddy finally walked out the door and we raced to Chris house. Chris was outside smoking with his brother eyeball. Immediately he had left his joint on the ground and came with us.

"Hey guys." he said putting his arm around me. "Where are we going?"

"Well, to my house after we pick up Vern."

"How about Gordie?"

"We tried no one is home. We can try again though?"

"Yea, why are going to your house?" Teddy asked.

"For a bonfire, and my parents want to meet you too."

"That's some weird bullshit man....."

"Shut up Teddy." Chris said.
We walked down the street and saw a car pull up in the driveway.
"Hey, man that's Gordies car! There home!" Chris said
We all ran to his house. He came out of the car and took some luggage with him.

"Hey Gordo!"

"Aye, Guys!!!!" He yells across the street. "Mom, I'll be back later." Gordie ran across the street. "Oh my god! You got your cast off! Now we can finish writing our stories! First thing on the morning."

"Okay Lachance, I really missed you bud." I said as he put his arm around me.

"I missed you too!"
We walked to Verns house. The sun was setting so we knew that Vern was home alone. Verns parents weren't home. His dad worked night shifts and on Saturday nights his mom would go to the store and get 20% off. We had a plan, we had this one locked and loaded as Teddy would say........