Crying Chambers

"Nothing, nothing makes sense to me.." Gordie snuck up onto the log we were sitting on. Chris was actually crying.

"What's wrong Chris?" Gordie asked rubbing his back.

"You, know what I found out?" He said.

"What?" We both said.

"Your broken ankle, the two boys who died, the teacher who is in the hospital with bad burns, the whole library burned down, the fire........was all my fault. I feel bad Mad...for that." Chris said crying.

"Chris, don't worry about it.....I got her out of there." Gordie said grabbing my hand and rubbing

"Yeah, Chris look at me." I stood up and did a jig. "Chris, I'm fine.....see!"

"Still, Mad it could have been worse. You could have been one of those boys who were killed." He said wiping his eyes.

"Why do you have to be so negative? I made it out alive didn't I?"

"Yea, but not those boys........"

"I'm not in the hospital, I'm having fun with my best friends right?"

"Yeah, but not Mrs.Hink....." He cried even harder.

"Chris, it doesn't really matter. Lets just go have fun with our friends." Gordie said pointing to Vern and Teddy who were in there own little world.

"Awe man, Vern did you shit your pants?" Teddy

"Shit my pants?" Vern said, laughing away.

"Holy shit your farts smell!!" Teddy yelled. All I did was laugh. Vern looked and yelled "Oh, come on Maddie! It wasn't me!! Sincerely! Look Teddy! See what you did, now she thinks I really shut my pants!!"

"Because you did!" Teddy laughed like a crazy man and gave him a nuggie.

"I can't stop thinking of it though Gordo." All I could do was laugh at Vern and Teddy. I really love those boys they mean everything to me. Poor Chris......Why did he need to be so upset.

"Well Chris, how do you know this?" Gordie asked.

"That rich boy told me....."

"But don't you think if it was....."

"Wait....where did the fire start?"

"He said in the library....." Chris said turning his head and frowning.

"But Chris......we weren't in the library. First we were in class and then we went to lunch. We were all together remember?"

"Oh shit! That lying sack of shit! He told everyone it was me!!!!" Chris said

"Hey, you know he would."

"I can't even explain myself now! Now, I'm going to get in trouble at school and my dad is going to beat me." Chris always had it rough at home. So now if he gets in trouble at school it will get worse.

"You don't have to tell your dad....." I said. I didn't want him getting trouble.

"Yeah, you can stay in the treehouse all day and hang out." Gordie said, I knew this would work if Chris stuck to the plan.

"What about food? What about entertainment?" Chris asked.

"We'll bring you lunch and batteries for your radio. Maybe a book and a deck of cards. Or just maybe a pack of smokes...." I said.

"But, you can't leave that treehouse...." Gordie said.

"Or have that radio up really loud...." I interrupted Gordie.

"If someone hears that music, or sees you they'll let your dad know where your at." Gordie said finishing his sentence.

"OH!!! Before school walk out with your bag, but in your bag have everything your going to need to do during the day while your in the treehouse."

"Yeah, bring a pillow or a sleeping bag and some water so you can nap or just even relax!" Gordie said.

"Man, this is a plan and a half!" Chris said skinning it down the line.

Before we knew it it was already 11. Everyone was going home.

"Hey! Meet me in the treehouse tomorrow at 8am sharp!!!!!" Gordie yelled to me. I went inside and went to bed. I was really tired from today, there was a lot of action going on. All I could think of was poor Chambers.....