Chapter 14

That morning Dylan and I had breakfast together. I sat down at the table while he made us something to eat. I wasn't in the mood for something heavy since my appetite wasn't very high so he made me something small; a hot cup of tea and some toast. Minutes after, he sat down opposite me and began eating his breakfast as well.

"Have you got work today?" I asked Dylan, while taking a sip from my tea. He nodded as he took a spoonful of cereal. He waited till he swallowed his food before answering my question.

"Yes. I have a shift at the field. I might be back slightly late." I nodded whilst continued to eat.

"How are you feeling Elissa?"

That was a good question. How was I feeling? My thoughts were of course still roaming around at the back of my mind. I was unaware of what I was feeling about everything; the letter, the lies and secrets this family have been hiding from me...and the box. That was my main concern. I didn't know what I felt more; being curious about what was inside, or the fear and dread of what I was going to find out. I could feel my breathing slightly quicken from all this frustration. Any minute now and I could already feel my tears about to stream out from my eyes. On the inside I felt as though I was going to explode from madness but on the outside I probably looked as though I was in deep thinking. Startled by my pondering thoughts, I felt Dylan's warm hand interlock with mine. I looked up and gave him a sad smile.

"Elissa, I probably already said this to you and I will keep saying this to you but I promise you, I'll be there for you okay? We will get through this together." He gave me a positive smile back for reassurance. Although I appreciated his help, I questioned whether I would be able to get through this at all. How could I just accept that everything was going to be okay? I might have just started coming back to reality but I was far from accepting that my life was one fat lie.

"What are you two lovebirds up to?" I heard Norman enter from the other room. Dylan and I instantly broke our intertwined hands apart. I tried my best to look down to avoid tears and embarrassment, taking over me and I could see Dylan flustered himself.

"I'm just kidding!" he smirked. No one but him found it amusing.

"So how are you feeling, Elissa?" Norman asked, changing the subject. It was a somewhat relief but him changing the subject to my feelings wasn't such a great thing to talk about especially since I only just spoke about it a few moments ago. Nevertheless I simply answered his question.

"I'm fine" I said looking up at him. He was busy buttering his toast. Seconds later he stopped and turned around. I forced myself to smile at him though he gave me no emotion back whatsoever. We both knew that he wasn't buying any of it.

"No you're not Elissa." He said in an abrupt manner which took me somewhat off guard.

"Someone who locks themselves in a room ignores everyone and everything for four days and then decides to appear out of the blue and act as if everything is normal, is not fine Elissa." He waved his arms about.

I couldn't tell if he was being sympathetic or cocky. Nonetheless, I avoided answering his reply and turned back down at my plate which still had a slice of untouched toast that Dylan had made for me.

I quickly glanced up at Dylan who looked as though he was also taken aback from Norman's insolent remark.

"So do you want to explain why you ignored us for four days?" He spoke as though he was threatening me. I looked up at Norman in disbelief. Before I could reply, Dylan took over.

"Leave her alone Norman, it's none of your business." Norman's eyes darted from mine to his brothers.

"That's right the big brother comes to save the day..." He said in a sarcastic tone while his arms were moving about.

"Don't you see what she's doing to you...what she's doing to this family Dylan?" my mouth almost dropped open. I was astounded by Norman's horrible attitude. What did I ever do to him? I tried my best to keep my mouth shut tight just in case I would regret it. Dylan stood up and walked towards his brother.

"That's enough Norman...what's gotten into you?" I could see Dylan just as shocked as I was. It was like someone had clicked their fingers and they turned into a totally different person. I've never seen this side of Norman and I was quite stunned since I would have never expected him to be so spiteful. He looked like one of them nice quiet boys who would keep out of other people's business. I guess I was wrong. I saw Dylan glance at me noticing that I was uncomfortable. Norman gave out a snort, making me look up at him.

"What's gotten into me? It's not me Dylan, it's her" He spat pointing at me. I raised my eyebrows. I couldn't believe this was happening.

"But no, you don't see that. You're too blinded by love to see that Dylan. Don't you see she is using you?" My anger and irritation was increasing by the second. I couldn't take it any longer. I suddenly got up, the chair making a horrible screech as it slid across the floor.

"What the hell is your problem Norman? What have I ever done to you?" He pushed his brother off of him, and turned to face me.

"You've ruined this family apart from the moment you came here with all your stupid secrets!"

"What are you talking about?" I shook my head speechless at what Norman was coming out with. "That's funny Norman because you and this family are keeping secrets from me!"

"Oh yeah? Like what?" he gave me a look of disgust.

"Like how all of you are keeping things from me about Keith Summers, who for your information is..., sorry was my uncle."

"You don't know what you're talking about." I could see that he tensed just from his name which meant that he definitely was keeping something from me.

"Not only that, but I know for a fact that your mum is definitely keeping things from me about my parents."

"And how would you know that?" He looked more angrier than I've ever seen Dylan angry, which in some sense...frightened me. However, I wasn't going to show that, I decided to let my anger and thoughts take the better of me.

"Do I really need to remind you Norman what happened on the first night I stayed here?" The house went silent for sometime probably make him speechless for once. I let out a small breath before I continued.

"You aren't the one who just found out that you've spent living nineteen years of your life as one big lie. So for your information Norman no, I am not the one keeping secrets it's you. All of you."

Before I could say another word his temper overtook him making him dash towards me and pushing me. His force of attack made me lose some control making me come in contact with the glass cupboards behind me. Seconds later I slipped down to the ground with a thud. The impact was harder than expected causing plates and glasses to fall all around me. A sudden wave of pain entered my head and the noises around became distorted. I closed my eyes hoping for the pain to go away but to no avail would it even decrease. I groaned in agony as I placed my hand on my head to feel a wet sticky substance. I opened my eyes and brought my hand to where I could see it; Blood. I winced as I looked up to see Dylan continuously punching his brother, who was now covered in blood. The pain increased by the minute and my vision started to blur. I tried to tell Dylan to stop but weakness took the better of me. The room spun and everything was now a blur. Before I knew it darkness had taken over me.